𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮

"xiao's not here."

"where could he be, then?" i questioned verr as i leaned against the counter, tapping my fingers along the top of it.

"i dont know. he just didn't come back here yesterday. probably had responsibilities to tend to." verr sighed as she turned away, tidying up the shelves behind her.

"well, thanks i suppose." i mumbled, extracting my hand from the cold surface of the counter and walking towards the balcony. there was a calm breeze that danced along the maple leaves that had begun to fall onto the balcony. i leaned against the railing, inspecting down below, incase xiao was around.

a maple leaf fell onto my shoulder. i took it, twirling it around by the stem. the leaves reminded me of kazuha.

kazuha, when would he return from the alcor?

just as i was deep in thought a gentle hand prodded my shoulder.

"if you want to see xiao, just call on him. he cant stay mad at you for too long if you're not in danger, right?" verr suggested as she leaned against the railing next to me.

"yeah. i just really need to talk with him, it's a bit important that i do."

"i understand. no need to share details with me, but just go up to the rooftop balcony and call on him. ill make sure nobody disturbs you both." she smiled, pushing away from the railing and making her way back inside. i followed her, jumping over the steps as i leapt up them.

upon getting onto the balcony, i leaned against the railing once more, sighing as i clasped my hands together, hanging my head.

xiao.

a whoosh came from behind me. i didn't bother turning around, i knew who it was. the figure slithered next to me, leaning against the railing next to me and hanging his hands.

"what dyou need? you're not in danger." xiao scowled as he shook his head.

"whose alatus?"

xiao didn't reply. after a minute of silence, he hesitantly spoke, choking on his words.

"alatus is me. and by asking, i assure you've.. met."

"yes, he informed me of his responsibility of demonising things. why didn't you tell me this?"

"i didnt owe you an explanation of my problems."

"i'd still like to have known, xiao. i care about you, you're my friend. i don't know if you see me as a friend also, but i want to know this stuff."

"hmph." xiao scoffed as he threw himself away from the railing. "how many times have you met alatus?"

"twice, i believe. once he pinned me against a tree, another he appeared in a dream."

i turned fully to face xiao.

"the mask i have has a large quantity of power. it can have its own karmic purposes." he explained, avoiding eye contact.

"well, you better keep this alatus person in control, because if you don't he's going to destroy mondstadt, then the rest of tevyat. this is all on you." i blurted out the last part, not knowing how hard the words would affect the adeptus until the damage had been done.

xiao looked taken aback, an emotion i'd never seen had been welcomed hurtfully to his face. xiao turned, waving a hand over his face, producing the mask.

"xiao, don't put that on-"

he was gone.

i turned in frustration, kicking the railing. "i can't believe i just said that-" i cursed at myself as i slapped the side of my head with my hand.