Chapter 508

Matt's POV:
Once we all finished eating breakfast together, I smiled as I came to join Gabby in the living room where we were going to be working on the plans for her dad's funeral. Wrapping my arm around her and putting my hand on her leg, I smiled while drinking a bit of coffee. Gabby has decided to let me drink coffee while we are living here considering it is quite stressful living with your brother-in-law...who just so happens to also be your sister's ex-boyfriend. Looking at everybody, I smiled at them when we started to speak about the funeral. Sofia went first.

"Honestly, I think we should do closed casket. I am not sure what he looks like after his COVID battle and I am not sure I want to find out." I nodded when she said that. "I hate to say this but, I agree. I have heard horror stories and have seen first hand how bad it can look like." Gabby turned to look at me when I said that. "You've seen a body which died of COVID?" I nodded when she asked me that. "All CFD personnel had to go through training so that we could easily spot COVID the moment we walked into the building. If they were dead of COVID, we stayed away."

Gabby nodded when I said that before going to grab her hand. "Unfortunately, COVID couldn't escape the firehouse. It affected Boden." I nodded when she said that before going to intertwine our fingers. "Sorry Sofia, Boden was our previous chief at the Firehouse. I took over for him when he died earlier this year of COVID-19. Gabby was still pregnant with the twins at the time." Sofia nodded when I said that. "Must've been a big loss for your firehouse." I nodded and agreed with her. "But let's not talk about that right now when we are supposed to talk about Ramon."

We all agreed and nodded when I said that. That's when Eva brought up something. "What if we did something to honor him just from the grandkids? I don't know if that works but...it's normally just adults who talk at the funeral. I had a very close relationship with my abuelo and would like to maybe say a speech or just do something." Antonio thought about it and smiled as he went to grab her hand. "I think that would be beautiful." Antonio then turned to look at me. "You want your kids in that or just my kids?" I then sighed. "They didn't know Ramon much."

Antonio agreed. "By the way, I just read dad's will again and he said that he wants to be cremated. So, I have already told the medical examiner's office to send his body to the crematorium when they are done with it." Sofia looked at us both when he said that. "Wow, I didn't even know that." Antonio sighed. "I'm sorry but, I had to follow the will. However, I did ask that it be put into 3 urns. We will each get one. One per family." Gabby bit her lip. "I would rather not Antonio. You can keep mine and give it to your kids at Laura's okay?"

I turned to look at Gabby when she said that. "Really?" Gabby sighed. "Matt, he was such a big presence in our marriage...it's hard sometimes. I would rather not have him be such a big presence even after his death. We got into a lot of fights about him and that is not healthy." I agreed with her before going to kiss her head. "Understood." That's when I got a call from the realtor and I sighed. "It's the realtor Gabby. I can tell him not this week if you don't want to?" Gabby shook her head. "No, it'll be a good distraction. If he has one later, we can go."

Antonio looked at her when she said that. "Gabby, you sure?" Gabby then sighed. "Antonio I have been hit with too much already this year. Between a premature delivery, us loosing Boden, us loosing our home and now dad dying...I need a fresh start in a new place. If I can get one, then we are going to get one. Do not argue with me okay?" Antonio nodded when Gabby said that. I then went to look at Gabby and smiled at her. "I will go talk to him okay?" She agreed and nodded while I walked away to go talk to the realtor. Gabby then smiled as I left.