Chapter 522

Delaney's POV: When Chief said that he is going to be the scene commander whenever Firehouse 71 responds to a multi-alarm, I was shocked. I mean, it does make sense considering we are the biggest Battalion in the entire Chicago Fire Department. With 2 Trucks, 2 Engines and a Squad, it would just make sense that we would be the house in command whenever we respond to a multi-alarm fire that requires multiple houses to respond to the scene. I was impressed actually. But , I was also a bit concerned since he was still a rookie, could he do it?

That's when I heard Lt. Hermann's wife walk over to us both. "What would that mean for Lee Henry if he was on scene?" Matt then looked at her. "Listen, how about this...we are going to have a supper together to thank you all for helping us. Me and Delaney can take your questions then. Right now, I would like to finish unpacking so that my home can be ready for when the kids need to take naps." We all agreed when he said that. "You're the Chief after all." Matt laughed when I said that and nodded. "Okay, so where are we now?" I then went to look around.

Walking over to some of the bags, I found...I looked at Matt. "These bags here are..." Matt then looked at them. "Oh, those go downstairs. Those are our new luggage we just got as a gift from my mother-in-law." I agreed when he said that before going to grab them and bringing them to the basement. "You want me to tell the people down here that there is some pizza Casey?" Matt then turned to look at me and nodded. "Thanks." I agreed and went downstairs so that I could get the people who were working down here on the shelves we were putting together.

I then looked at Gallo and Ritter who seemed to be having trouble with the shelves. "You really have no idea how to put those together do you guys?" Ritter turned to look at me and sighed. "No." I then went to walk over to them. "Listen, there's some lunch upstairs. Antonio ordered some pizza. Come eat and then maybe Matt can come help with the shelves." That's when Matt came down. "Yes, I completely forgot that you guys were still down here." I turned to look at him and nodded. "Matt, you go upstairs and celebrate lunch with your friends. I'll be right up."

Matt nodded and agreed with me when I said that. Leading both Gallo and Ritter upstairs, he just smiled as he prepared to have lunch with his friends and family. Meanwhile, I went to look around in awe at the gorgeous home he bought. I was also taking a mental note of what I was going to need to talk to my wife about. She has been concerned about me when it comes to me being second in  command. However, I am good with that and plan on trying my best to make Matt's job easy. With him having 3 kids, I know that it's going to be hard on him in general.