Chapter 569

Matt's POV: After spending the past hour writing the report, I looked at Gabby and smiled at her. "That is basically what we did to create Firehouse 71." She nodded when I said that and smiled. "Honestly, when you look at it in writing...it's a lot more than you see when you are just in the background." I smiled when she said that before turning my head. I then went to kiss her softly. "I am going to send it to the Commissioner okay?" Gabby looked at me when I said that. "Are you sure that you don't want  to wait until you've let it sit for a minute?" I then bit my lip.

"I guess I can wait a bit...he did say take my time. I guess I am just excited." Gabby laughed and smiled when I said that. Wrapping my arm around her, I went to kiss her forehead and just smiled. "At the end of the day Matt, this is your job. If you think you've done a good enough job and that it is perfect for you to send, then you should send it to the commissioner." I thought about it and bit my lip. "Gabby, you are going to be mad if I send it aren't you?" Gabby shook her head. "Nope, I am going to be proud. Because this is you taking the step of being proactive."

I then looked at her. "It also shows that I do not waste time and get it done right away." She agreed with me when I said that. "Then go ahead and send it to him babe." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that before going to open my CFD E-mail. Starting a new e-mail, I went to attach it before going to start writing my e-mail to Grissom.

From: Deputy Commissioner Casey (mcasey)
To: Commissioner Grissom (cgrissom)
Subject: Example of a House Merger Proposal
Attachment: Proposal of Merger - Firehouses 20 and 51 (Example)

Grissom,
Attached is the example of a merger proposal that I have completed based on my experience during the merger of Firehouses 20 and 51 (which I personally oversaw) when they merged to become Firehouse 71. I believe that you will find that there are a lot of topics in there that we needed to talk about while we were considering the merger in the first place. If you have any questions regarding the report, please contact me. If you want me to add more info...I will.

I am truly honored and humbled by the opportunity to be your Deputy Commissioner and I hope that this first report as your Deputy Commissioner makes you proud. I am ready to work with you on many more houses and I can't wait to hear what you think about the report. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time. 

Sincerely,
Matthew Casey
Deputy Fire Commissioner, Chicago Fire Department
Office of the Commissioner - Firehouse Management

Once I finished writing the e-mail, I looked at Gabby. "Do you mind reading that over for me?" Gabby nodded when I said that and went to read it. "Honestly babe, it looks amazing. You are a great writer. Remember some of those romantic cards you sent me when I was in Puerto Rico? Those messages were great." I smiled when she said that before going to hit the send button. I then turned to look at Gabby as I went to kiss her softly. "I love you and I hope that this works." Gabby nodded when I said that and smiled at me. "It will Matt, you are going to do great."

Kissing her forehead, I smiled at her. "Listen, how about I shut off the computer and change it to the TV? Then I am going to go get you some yogurt. Maybe Louie wants some snacks too?" Looking at him, I saw he was asleep on the other couch and I just smiled. "I guess he didn't asleep that much last night." Gabby smiled when I said that and shook her head. "I guess not." I then went to look at her. "Hey, didn't we say that we were going to call Eva? She was at the university yesterday." Gabby nodded when I said that. "That sounds like a good idea. Video?"

I then laughed when she said that. "Oh, you are being serious? I thought you were joking. We can barely reach her by the phone...do you really expect us to honestly be able to reach her on video chat?" Gabby thought about it and smiled at me. "We won't know unless we try." I nodded when she said that before going to kiss her softly. "Maybe after a bit of this first." Gabby smiled when I said that and went to rub my chest. "You read my mind." I nodded and smiled as I went to put my hand on her stomach. Seeing it grew already a bit, I smiled. "It's starting." I then went to bend down and kissed her stomach softly. "I promise, this is the last pregnancy."

Gabby laughed when I said that and smiled at me. "Yes, it is." Laying back again, I looked into her eyes before siting up a bit more. "Here, sit next to me and just let me hold you." Gabby nodded when I said that. Sitting up more, I went to move the keyboard out of the way before looking into Gabby's eyes as I wrapped my arm around her. Putting my hand on her stomach, I smiled at her. "I can't wait to meet this baby." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Can I tell you something?" I nodded. "Always." Gabby then bit her lip. "I think it's going to be twins."