Chapter 563

Matt's POV: Once we finished eating our subs in bed, I smiled as I came back upstairs from the kitchen where I put the wrappers in the trash and the plates in the dishwasher. That's when I saw Gabby going to grab some bottles in the fridge. "Let me guess, feeding time?" Gabby turned to look at me and jumped. "Sorry, you scared me." I nodded when she said that. Walking up to her, I went to wrap my arms around her. "Where's Louie?" That's when I heard Louie come into our room. "I go get books." I then turned to look at him and smiled. "Okay bud, I'll read to you."

Getting in bed, I smiled as I went to sit up when I decided that I really couldn't do both reading and feeding. "Gabby, can you take care of the feeding? That way I can hold Louie in my arms." Gabby nodded when I said that. "Come here Louie, come sit in daddy's lap so that he can read to you." Louie nodded when I said that before coming to get in bed with me. Grabbing the books from him, I smiled as I felt him lay down on my chest. Grabbing the blanket I always used when we cuddled, I put it on top of both of us and smiled at Louie. "Comfortable buddy?" He nodded.

Gabby then looked at me when she saw I was all cuddled up to him. "No teddy bears tonight bud?" Louie then shook his head. "Daddy is my teddy bear." I laughed when he said that and nodded when I got an e-mail. Seeing my phone flashing, I went to check it and saw that it was an e-mail from Grissom. Going to look at it, I opened it. 

From: Commissioner Grissom (cgrissom)
To: Deputy Commissioner Casey (mcasey)
Subject: Example of a House Merger Proposal

Casey, 
I know that your appointment isn't official yet but...do you mind sending me a example of a house merger proposal so that I know what it might look like when you do make recommendations? I am leaving the style up to you but....here is what your job would be. To make recommendations on cost cutting measures. Show me what you would write in reports when recommending that houses merge. Maybe use Firehouse 51 and Firehouse 20 as an example? Send me it when you have a chance. No rush, enjoy this time to celebrate your new job. Like the title?

Carl Grissom
Commissioner, Chicago Fire Department

Looking at Gabby, I smiled at her. "Grissom wants me to send him a draft proposal. What it would look like and stuff. He wants me to find two houses and make a draft fake recommendation for how I would deal with the houses. Think maybe we could do that tomorrow? I need to figure it out." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Honestly, that sounds like a great way. We can see what he likes. Plus, I like the idea of having some power. I can help you and we can work in bed. But promise we will take breaks to be with Louie." I agreed with her.

"He says he wants me to do the proposal based on what we did at Firehouse 51 and 20. That should be easy since we already did it. Already know what we did. We just need to figure out how to write a proposal. Doing this together as a project could be fun." Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded. "Can we work in bed?" I nodded and agreed with her and smiled as I went to kiss her softly. "Promise me that you are going to wake me up if you have morning sickness?" Gabby agreed and smiled at me when I said that. "Of course. Now, let's read to Louie before bed."

I agreed and nodded when she said that. "Can I just e-mail Grissom back quick?" Gabby nodded and I grabbed my phone. I then went to e-mail Grissom back. But first, I decided to change the signature in my e-mail settings to update it to show my new title.

From: Deputy Commissioner Casey (mcasey)
To: Commissioner Grissom (cgrissom)
Subject: RE: Example of a House Merger Proposal

Grissom,
It would be my honor to show you what my proposed reports would look like. I am excited to take this opportunity and I will make you a proposal based on Firehouse 51 and 20. And yes, I love the new title. I am excited to do this and I am proud to say that this is the perfect opportunity that has came up at the right time. With the pandemic being a big presence in my life and a threat to my wife...this job opportunity came at the right time. I will do a draft proposal and send it to you as soon as it is done. I am positive that you will enjoy my report.

Matthew Casey
Deputy Commissioner, Chicago Fire Department
Office of the Commissioner - Firehouse Management

Sending the e-mail to Grissom, I then went to set my phone down before looking at both Gabby and Louie. Cuddling up to my family, I smiled as I wrapped my arms around them. Reading to Louie, I just couldn't help but smile the entire time before eventually falling asleep in bed together.