University Fire Part 2

Matt's POV: After running over to Ambo 61, I looked at Eva as she was on a stretcher. Grabbing her hand, I smiled at her while Antonio smiled at me. "Thanks." I then went to rub Eva's hand. "How are you feeling Eva?" Eva then looked at me. "Like I am about to be grounded for a while." I then shook my head. "Eva, this wasn't your fault. You are a victim here. Now, you go to the hospital with your dad. We need you to be okay because we are going to need your help in the future." Antonio then looked at me. "Eva, me and Gabby are expecting again." Eva then smiled. 

"Felicitaciones tío Matt!" I smiled when she said that and nodded. "Thank you Eva. Now, you be safe and let me know who it goes okay Antonio? Come stop by the firehouse later." He agreed and nodded. Closing the doors to the ambulance, I went to hit the back of it before walking back over to Delaney. I then grabbed my radio and went to check on the teams. "Severide, report. My niece is safe in the ambulance and on her way to Med." He agreed. "Good, we are on Floor 2."

That's when I saw a bunch of doctors starting to set up a Medical tent. Walking over, I looked at Will who was there. "Surprised that your brother didn't ask you to stay with Erin?" Will then turned to look at me and smiled. "Nope. Natalie is with her. God, they had triplets." I nodded and sighed. "We are expecting again, so that makes it easier." Will smiled and went to hug me. "Congratulations. How's your nice?" I then sighed. "Should be okay. By the way, don't screw up! I already heard the news about you and Natalie. The paramedics still gossip with Gabby." 

That's when I felt Isaac Davidson put his hand on my shoulder. "Hey Halstead, can I borrow this chief for a minute?" Turning around, I smiled when I saw my friend from Puerto Rico. "Congrats on the new babies and the pregnancy from me and Anna." I smiled and nodded. "Gabby is going to be at the firehouse later. Stop by for supper maybe and you can meet them." He smiled and agreed. I then went to walk back over to Delaney and smiled at him. "Sorry people are happy for us. I know that I should be concentrating on the fire right now." He agreed and smiled at me.

Grissom then smiled as he watched what was happening. "By the way, you okay with Severide being a Captain?" I nodded and smiled. "I was the one who put it in for him. He has saved my ass so many times that he deserves it. And he just earned it again when he saved my niece's life. If she died in that fire...I would've been a dead man." Grissom nodded and agreed. "You're brother-in-law the new Head of Intelligence? Shame to hear that Voight died of COVID-19."

I then laughed when he said that. "Nope, his adopted daughter and her husband are in charge of intelligence. He is my liaison to intelligence though so, we are going to be working closely together at times. I hope that's okay?" Grissom nodded when I asked him that. "Whatever we can do in order to help CPD cases the better." I smiled when he said that before going to look at the fire. "How long before you think we should start evacuation. I am looking at the smoke and it's darker over by the Science building than by the residences. We evacuate all buildings?"

That's when I got a report form Cruz. "Hey Chief, we may need Hazmat in here sooner than we expect. We just walked into the lab. There are flammable materials here in the lab." Grissom then went to speak to him right away. "Then by the orders of the Commissioner, all CFD personnel are to evacuate the University of Chicago Science building. Continue in the residences and other educational buildings." Me and Patterson then nodded. "Should we evacuate the entire campus?" Grissom then turned to look at me. "I think we should. They are all too close."

I then went to grab my radio. "Attention all CFD Units on Scene. The fire scene has been expanded to all buildings. I repeat, all University Buildings are now part of the fire scene. You are to check them all and proceed with caution as if an active fire was in the building." Grissom then turned to look at me when I said that and just smiled. "What?" He then laughed. "Even if you just had kids, you haven't lost it." I laughed when he said that. "My son has started to like it when I act like his fire chief. I talk to him that way sometimes. I think I might have future firefighters." Grissom agreed with me. "I already got rid of the no family working together. They can be at the same house. However, not on the same vehicle unless they are paramedics."

I agreed with him. "Good, because my wife has this dream where she is the paramedic-in-chief while one of our kids is her paramedic. Oh and while I am a Chief...fair warning that there will be both a Lieutenant Casey and Captain Casey on Truck before I retire. Then, they can take my spot." He laughed and agreed with me. "We will make sure that happens." That's when Patterson radioed to me. "Casey, permission to take control and lead at the Education Studies building." I agreed when he said that. "Permission granted. Attention...Chief Patterson is now in charge of the Education Studies building. Report to him. Severide, go do a sweep there after dorms."

Patterson then spoke to me again. "I already got my Squad on it Casey, that okay?" I agreed. "Of course." I then turned to look at the Commissioner. "God, I love doing this. It's nice to be back in the saddle." He agreed with me. "You can work day shifts if you want. I know it's hard with the kids." I smiled when he said that. That's when I heard Hermann over the radio. "Chief, I have a little problem here. I need someone to relieve me as Lieutenant." I then got concerned. "Why?" He then sighed. "I just found Cindy and Lee Henry here."