Chapter 552

Matt's POV: After making my way into the briefing room, I looked at everybody as they took their seats. I then smiled at Delaney because I saw the grim on his face. He already knew about the new job and how he was going to be made chief. But what my friends didn't know is that I was just promoted again. I just hoped that they would be happy for me and Gabby. That's when I felt her walk up to me. Wrapping her arms around me, she smiled. "Here, take one of the babies."

I agreed and smiled as I went to grab Hannah. Kissing her head, I smiled at her. "You are going to be happy for daddy right?" She then cuddled up to me and smiled. "Okay, so for the reason we brought you here. As you all have heard me and Gabby are pregnant again." Everybody nodded and clapped. "Can't wait." I smiled. "But there is another piece of news that you don't know. Today is my last day as Battalion Chief at Firehouse 71." Severide then looked at me. "What!"

I then looked at him. "Calm down. There is a reason. So, at the last call...me and Grissom talked about how I want to be safer on calls because we are expecting again. And I asked if there were positions available at HQ. And he said there was. He was going to offer it to me but, it's a great job with a bigger salary. You know how I was the one in charge of merging the houses with Delaney's help?" Everybody nodded and smiled. "That would be my full-time job now."

Everybody looked at each other and was shocked. "Wow." I nodded. "Better yet...I can work from home as Deputy Fire Commissioner for Firehouse Management and Consolidation." Everybody was shocked when I said that. "They are doing this elsewhere?" I nodded and smiled as I went to look at Hannah before kissing her cheek. "Yeah, your daddy just got promoted again. How does that sound sweetheart?" Gabby smiled when I did that and just went to rub her stomach.

I then looked at everybody. "And I would love your help to sell my pitches to the rest of the CFD. If I want to use you guys as an example, I hope you would help me. I mean, this was a good idea at the end of the day right? More man power, more friends and stuff." Everybody turned to look at each other and nodded. "Yeah, we aren't as tired at the end of the day and stuff." I smiled when Cruz said that. "The CFD wants to do that in order places while keeping the same jobs."

Everybody agreed with me. "And who knows...maybe you guys can help me? See what houses you always see working together. If they always work together, then they should merge. I will want you guys to stay in touch with me and help me out if I need it. I am going to want to talk to real firefighters and make sure I do it right. Can you promise to help me?" Everybody nodded and agreed. "Oh and one last thing...I am just your friend when I come to visit okay?"

Everybody laughed when I said that and Severide yelled out. "Sure Mr. Deputy Commissioner. Congrats though man, you are going to be great at your job. Just promise us that you don't split us up. We have already merged and I have finally adjusted to it." I agreed and smiled. "Of course. Anyways, I need you guys to be my demonstration house. You will still see me all the time." Gabby was confused when I said that. "They will?" I nodded and smiled. "Tours and examples."

Everybody nodded and smiled. "Now this is my last time here as Chief, I am going to get going though. I want to get home, get in bed and then snuggle up to this little girl. We promise to keep you up to date on the pregnancy." Everybody nodded and smiled when I said that. "The apartment is yours Delaney." I then went to pass him the keys to the firehouse. "Enjoy the new job. Oh and don't be too tough on your men. Oh and one last thing...Severide's deputy!"

Severide smiled and agreed with me. "Thanks man. Talk later okay?" I agreed and smiled. "I wish I could hug you but pregnant wife takes precedence. Now I have to bounce so we can go put these kids to bed." Everybody nodded and smiled. Going to grab Gabby's hand, I smiled as we intertwined our fingers to head home. "Last time at the firehouse." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Yeah. Honestly, I am not going to miss this place. Working in bed is better."

I nodded and laughed when she said that, smiling as we made our way home.

NOTE: While Matt and Gabby make their way home, I am going to check up on the Halsteads.