Queen: Live Aid

Freddie trims his mustache and smoothies down his hair. It was the big day, today was Live Aid. This was going to be a grand day of celebration. Practically every band known is going to be there.

So far Freddie knew that Elton John, his band Queen, Madonna, Santana, Run DMC, Sade, Sting, Bryan Adams, the Beach Boys, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Duran Duran, U2, the Who, Tom Petty, Neil Young and Eric Clapton were going to be there.

Freddie was excited to go there with his band. He heard Elton John was a charming man and so was Clapton. Once Freddie was properly groomed and dressed decently he gather up his mates,

“Are you guys ready for the performance of a century!” Freddie shouts bouncing down the stairs like a kid on Christmas.

“Let’s rock!” Roger yells.

Brian huffs and makes sure Freddie's cats and kittens have plenty of food and water. Those poor things are going to be without their papa for a while and Brian didnt trust Freddie's assistants.

They all pile up in the van and take off for Live Aid. They are shaking with excitement and a little bit of nervousness.

After all this will be their biggest crowd to date. And they don’t want to disappoint them all.

"How do I look?' Brian asks,

Roger lights a cigarette, "The 70s called they want their hair back."

Brian glares at him and crosses his arms,

"Fuck you."

"I already did."

The van is silent for the rest of the drive. The conversation died quickly.

When they arrive it is packed full of life.

Guards are everywhere weapons at the ready for anyone who might disobey them. Freddie pauses seeing a man with bedazzled glasses and exotic attire. Freddie giggles and walks over,

“Well hello there,” Freddie puts out his charm, “I’m Fr-“

“You’re Freddie Mercury.” The man says grinning showing his gapped teeth, “I’m Elton John.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Freddie grins.

“My aren’t you gussied up.” Elton teases playfully,

“Why thank you.” Freddie giggles bashfully, “I got ready for the big performance.”

“Oh really which one?” Elton teases him giggling.

“Oh hush.” Freddie laughs, “Stop it.”

They talk for hours, they share some snacks together. A they split a bottle of beer between the two of them.

Freddie wishes him well and goes out to give the best performance of his life.

The crowd roars their names. The screams are music to Freddie's ears. It was all so magical. It was like his dreams had come true.

Freddie flashbacks to his childhood.

He's lying on a mattress on the floor. A thin itchy blanket barely covers him.

His mother comes in with a bowl of stew with some kind of meat.

Freddie shivers and lets himself be spoon fed. Some of it dribbles down his chin,

"Mama why don't we have nice blankets?" Freddie asks getting another spoonful into his mouth,

"We're getting low on funds." She says softly.

Freddie gets a determined look in his eyes,

"When I grow up mama I'm going to make big money and you and daddy and baby won't ever work!"

Jer was pregnant at the time with little Kash but did not know the gender yet or even if it would make it.

All Freddie knew was that his father wanted another son for he feared Freddie wouldn't make it past six since most kids got very sick.

"Really sweetheart?" Jer asks, "What are you going to be?"

"A singer like the woman at the market."

Jer laughs, "Silly that's women's work."

Freddie frowns. He'll show them. He'll show them all that he can be a great singer. He'll prove it to them.

And here he was decades later in a crowd of thousand screaming fans all wanting him, maybe a few others but besides the point. They are loving their music. They will gain new fans from this. They will be stronger.

Freddie and his band finish up. They are sweaty and exhausted. They played their best. His throat felt raw and sore. He wished to never speak again.

Elton waddles over and Freddie can't help but smile at him. He looked so hopeful and so young. He hasn't hasn't had his vocals ruined yet by performing.

"Hey you did good." Elton smiles handing Freddie some tea,

"Thanks," Freddie's voice was low and raspy; he felt like shit now.

"Drink your tea.'' Elton says pushing the Styrofoam cup up to his lips.

Freddie blushes and drinks. The warm honey soaked liquid coats his throat and warms his belly. It felt good. It soothes him and makes him think of home. Fred hopes his family got to watch him on the TV. He did just buy them the latest one.

Freddie and Elton talk more. Mostly Elton does as Freddie is too busy nursing his sore throat. Elton talks about his absentee father and how his mother and grandmother supported his music career and saw that he had talent.

Elton always rambles on how only his father was allowed to play records and Elton wasn't allowed to touch them at all and how it wasn't fair at all. Elton was a responsible kid. He knew what he was doing.

Freddie chuckles. Elton sounded like a dork as a kid. Which was alright Freddie was a dorky kid too.

Everyone was at one point. Right? It wasn't just them right?

And so that's how they met and became friends. All thanks to a little thing called Live Aid.

Even when Freddie was ill with GRID later known as AIDS Elton took care of him alongside Freddie's husband Jim.

Freddie got better and him and Elton recorded a few songs together. Freddie helped Brian with his depression after his father died and he got divorced.

Elton and Freddie worked on an album together and remastered a few songs together. Freddie was there for Roger's wedding and his new children.

Elton was there when Freddie married Jim legally. And Freddie was there when Elton marries his partner.

They were the old folks that caused trouble 24/7. If you saw chaos just look for the John-Mercury duo.