Dealor: Friends Dont Look At Each Other This Way

Roger glances at John from across the pub, the beautiful brunet smiles at Roger shyly, a look in his eyes that makes Roger go crazy. Though they're just friends, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less. They’ll be nothing more nothing less, Roger’s eyes glance at the clock. The pub felt stuffy for some reason now. Like there wasn’t enough air in the damn place. Roger shakes his head and looks back at John who was sucking on his straw looking at Roger, the blond felt his face flush and he tried to do the same.

Do friends look at each like this? Do friends pretend to suck dick while staring at each other? Do friends stare longingly at each other? Roger shakes the lewd thoughts from his head and walks to John as he glanced at the clock one last time, “Come on it’s almost 5.”

John takes one last swig of his drink and pays at the bar. They get in John’s car and drive down to the baseball field where John’s son, Robert was playing pee-wee baseball. They made it right before the game started, John’s mother had driven Robert to his game. John, Lillian, and Roger were Robert’s number 1 fans.

Robert turns and faces the chain linked fence and gives his family a big toothless grin, his helmet almost too big for his tiny head. His mouth guard was nearly sliding out his mouth. He looks so dopey right now little Robbie must have missed his nap. He gives his mama and nana a big smile though.

“The ball!” Someone yelled, “The ball kid! The ball! Kid watch out!”

“71! Number 71 watch out!” Someone else yells, “Duck! Duck! Duck!”

“Fucking loser!” Another person yells,

Robert gasps and swings his bat hard, nearly knocking himself onto his ass. The crack as the bat makes contact makes the audience gasp, it seems to echo across the playing field. Time seemingly stood still, it was Robert’s first hit and he made that ball sail. The ball flies through the air, “Run Robbie! Run!” John shouts grabbing the fence, “Run to the bases baby!”

Roger yanks John down chuckling some. Robert runs as fast as he can, his dirt stained jeans seem to get even darker as he slides across to fourth bass and tucks and rolls.

The crowd cheers for little Robert around 6PM the game finishes up. Roger scoops up Robert who snuggles into his side falling fast asleep. John looks over at Roger and Robert, a look that makes Roger long for the feisty brunet and be a part of his family.

They drive home to John’s. The two men put Robert to bed after dressing him in pjs and wiping him down for bed. Now they’re in the kitchen sipping coffee looking at Robert’s drawing stuck to the fridge he made while Lillian was watching him.

There were four little stick figures in the drawing. One with grey hair labeled “Nana”, the second with brunette hair labeled “Mama”, a smaller stick figure with brunette hair labeled, “Me”, and lastly a blond stick figure labeled, “Daddy”.

“I’ll talk to him.” John says softly, setting his mug down, “I don’t want you to feel pressured with this.”

“John..” Roger says softly looking at him, 

John stands up not leaning on the counter he was a few inches taller than he blond, “Roger! Friends don’t look at each other like this! They don’t look at each other the way we do! They don’t try to hold hands! They don’t.. they don’t..” John slides a hand across his face, “They don’t drunkenly kiss in some pub in Liverpool!”

Roger takes his hand. There was a flash in John’s eyes that Roger couldn’t place but he leans in and kisses him, “I have loved you since you were eighteen, long before we thought the same thing.” Roger spills his emotions out, “It hurt me seeing you dance with him, seeing you dance and kiss that man!” 

John goes to speak but Roger covers John’s lips with his finger, “It hurt me seem no you crying at my doorstep begging for help as the man you loved left you knocked up and alone. It pained me heavily, I wanted nothing more than to hold you in my arms, raise you and that child.”

“Oh Roger.” John says softly kissing Roger passionately slinging his arms around his neck.

Roger kisses back like there’s a fire burning in them with desire. Friends don’t look at each they way Roger and John look at each other but lovers do. Roger sniffles and looks at the picture Robert drew, “He isn’t my blood, he doesn't have my name, but if he did, I'd feel the same. I wasn't there for his first steps but I haven’t missed a ball game yet.” Roger says softly facing John,

 “He isn’t my blood but he’s our boy. He’s our son.” Roger says,

“Our son.” John repeated softly, “Our baby.”

“I could never walk away.” Roger says putting the picture back on the fridge, “You and Robert are my world. And I will do anything in my power to give you guys the best life ever.”

John felt himself tear up and he kissed Roger cupping the blond’s face and tangling his fingers through his hair. They pull away for air right as the floorboards creak and the soft pitter patter of clothed feet on the hardwood.

“Mommy? Daddy?” Robert yawns and Roger feels his heart swell. Robert is bigger than any plans Roger had planned but he wouldn’t change it for the world. He has his son and John, “What is it buddy?” Roger crouched down, 

“Can I get a glass of water?”

John kisses Robert’s head and gets him a glass. Robert takes a few sips before being asked to be carried back to bed. Roger carries him back to bed, John at his side. Roger smiles softly; he has everything he could ever want now. Nothing is going to change that for him.