Young and Sweet: Johnica

Jo smooths down her pale rose pink dress and looks at her dress. Tonight was prom, her big night and she was going out with Ron Tetzlafft too. The auburn haired man asked her to prom last week. It was like a dream come true.

She’s been crushing on the younger man for months now and never worked up the nerve to ask him.

Instead he asked her out!

Jo keeps smoothing over her dress making sure there’s no creases or folds.

She hoped she looked like a princess, Her heart raced as she heard the doorbell. Her prince has hopefully arrived. Jo grabs her handbag and heads downstairs.

Her little brother Julian snaps a picture of her walking downstairs, “Dad wants pictures of you!”

“What?” Jo rubs at her eyes blinded by the flash,

“Smile!” Julian screams like the annoying twelve year old he is. Their father is greeting Ron firmly but sternly, after all Jo is his little princess and his only daughter.

Ron takes her arm and pulls her close. He helps her get the corsage on and her father snaps pictures of them standing by the door.

They walk out to his car, well his mothers car he was saving up his wages to buy his own car. He holds her arm as they walk down the porch steps. Ron keeps her steady this was only the second time she’s worn heels.

She smiles lovingly at him. Jo couldn’t believe how lucky she was right now.

Ron holds open the door for her,

"Ladies first.”

He smiles sweetly at her and helps her into the car. The car had a little pine tree air freshener dangling from the mirror. It smelled sweet.

The seventeen year old was so nervous. She couldn’t believe it was actually happening. Jo couldn’t stop smiling, and Ron looked so happy.

“How about some music while we drive?” Ron asks,

“I love music.” Jo smiles showing her gapped tooth smile.

Ron thought she was even more beautiful. He gets the radio on and they sing along to whatever songs are playing. It didn’t even matter if they knew the lyrics or not. They still belt out the lyrics proudly.

Jo talks Ron’s ear off as they drive the forty minute drive to school. Ron learned a lot about her and even loved her more. She was an amazing young woman. Very bright and she loved music. Ron talked about how he wants to work with young children when he graduates.

Ron parks the car and leads her into the decorated gym. Balloons and streamers everywhere. You wouldn’t guess it was a gym, they did a good job decorating it.

The prom was called “A Night In Paris”. One of the backdrops was of the Eiffel Tower.

Jo made sure to get a picture with Ron with it as their background. Ron seems to be doing anything to make Jo smile which is the sweetest thing ever.

Her best friend Freddie was passing out ballot slips to vote prom king and queen. Her elegant painted nails graze Jo’s shoulder and squeezes,

“Good luck.” She whispers,

Jo shudders and looks up at Ron who’s staring deeply at the ballot like he’s picking life or death,

“Maybe we should vote for ourselves?” Ron jokes scratching at his baby face,

“Oooh such scandalous behavior.” Jo giggles taking the pen Ron shares a giggle and they check their name off.

“We’re so naughty.” Jo laughs kissing Ron’s cheek making him blush,

“I love my naughty girl.” He jokes pulling her onto his lap making her squeal.

The votes are counted during the dancing and snacking. Jo was stuffing little smokies into her mouth and Ron was downing paper cup after paper cup of punch. Jo didn’t realize how nervous she was.

“What if we get called on?” Jo asks softly,

“Then you’re a queen.” Ron smiles, “My queen.”

Jo hugs him tight, grinning, “I hope we win.”

“You’re beautiful.” Ron whispers softly leaning in,

The screech of the microphone jerks them away as they cover their ears, “The votes are in!” The DJ screams.

The crowd makes noise and Ron helps Jo up front so they can get a better view of the stage. The DJ breathes heavily into the microphone as he struggles to open up the little envelope.

The vice principal darts across the stage and opens it for him; she quickly waddles off keys jingling. The DJ pants and reads the small card squinting some,

“Your prom king and queen are, Ron Tetzlafft and Joanna Deacon!”

The crowd erupts into cheers and clapping. Jo felt herself tearing up. This reminds her of when she was little and wanted to be a princess and now she can finally become one. The sash is placed over her and the crown is set upon her head.

Ron runs up there the crown is placed on him and the younger man scoops Jo up and kisses her sweetly and passionately. Jo touched his cheek lightly and kissed him again. Ron carries her off stage and back to their small table.

Regina was there with her legs kicked up on their table, “Who are you?” Ron asks,

“I’m your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.” Reigna jokes,

Ron stands there confused and Jo laughs kicking Regina from her chair, “She’s my chemistry partner and study buddy.”

Ron nods and Jo whispers in Regina’s ear, “Get some romantic music going, please.”

The blond smirks and she runs up stage. Regina shoves the DJ over and dims the lights,

“Alright grab that special someone and pull them in close. It’s about to get real slow.” She speaks into the microphone.

“Perfect” plays over the speakers and couples flock to each other and start dancing. Ron blushes softly and looks over Jo,

“Can I have this dance, Ronnie?” Jo asks asks sticking her hand out,

“Y-Yeah.” Ron takes her hand and the two waltzes to the center of the dance floor.

Jo rests her chin on Ron’s shoulder and closes her eyes as Ron puts his hands on her waist. This was the best night of her life.