Venessa... Veronica.. Its All The Same: Johnica

John struggles with his tie; he tries to smooth his hair down but it just seems to frizzle up and stick up. He wishes he could be normal looking. He thinks of his neighbor, Freddie with the husband and army of cats.

John blushes and whimpers as he knocks on Freddie’s apartment door embarrassed that he needed help. Freddie opens the door rubbing his eyes and looks up at him, “Yeah, John?” 

A black cat rubs against Freddie’s legs and mewls quizzically rubbing against his legs. He looks at John with sleek green eyes with ages of wisdom behind them.

“I need help with my tie.” John blushes looking down he felt like a little kid. He understands that a father would teach their son this but his father died when he was just a boy so he never learned.

Freddie got John in front of a mirror and showed him how to tie a tie. Even fixed his hair up for him, “Do you think she’s going to like me?”

Freddie squeezes his shoulders, “You’re John fucking Deacon of course she’s going to like you.”

John smiles a little and Freddie smooshes his cheeks, “Now go out there and win her heart.”

John goes to leave but Freddie stops him, “Here take this.”

John caught the flowers that Freddie tossed at him, “Sweep her off her feet!” Freddie shuts the door behind him.

John gets into his car and drives to the Red Crab Diner that wasn’t too far away from the apartments. John pats the flowers in the passenger seat. They were some orange and pink flowers. Very pretty in color, quite an expensive bouquet.

John walks inside the diner with the flowers and sees a lone woman sitting at a booth he approaches her, “V-Vanessa?”

“Veronica.”

Oh maybe John misheard her over the phone, “I’m John.”

"You're my blind date?" Veronica asks,

"Oh it was your friend I was talking to." John says, shaking her hand and gifting her the flowers.

Her eyes light up and she smiles sweetly smelling them. She and John talk and enjoy each other.

"So what do you do for a living?" Veronica asks, "I'm a preschool teacher."

John smoothed his hair back, "I'm an electrical engineer." 

Veronica smiles, "You must be so good with maths."