Chapter 16

Tian

I am with Rang on our trip back to Pha Phan Dao after Tul and Luke entered the departure gate.

"Rang, tell me honestly. How is Chief doing?" Rang seem reluctant but I keep pushing for some answers.

"Chief is busying himself, out of sudden there's a lot of work to do. And he is a bit moody..." Rang explained.

What is wrong with him?

"Just tell him not to forget to play Wau with the kids this Friday. The weather seems nice nowadays." I continue blankly seeing the roadside.

I missed him.

"I will." And Rang continue to concentrate with the driving.

It is Friday, and the weather is nice, it's great day to play Wau. We were waiting for Chief to arrive. But he is no show. Only after a while Yod arrive with a Wau.

"Sorry kids, Chief got held up with security patrol and didn't make it back in time. He asked me to bring this Wau for you to play." I look at the kids who seems indifferent.

"It is OK... we will wait for Chief to play. Please let him know we will be waiting for him next Friday na..." Ayi says and the kids keep back their Wau in the class and discussing what they want to do.

"K.Seetian, can we do other outdoor activity for today?" Mijoo requested.

"Of course, now lets grab your drawing book and go outside to draw nature landscapes."

****

Another week goes by and I still haven't meet Chief. I've visited Chief base a few time but they say he is out patrolling. I don't know what's going on but this is starting to stressed me out. I miss him so much.

I feel suffocated. I am confused, living in the dark, not knowing anything.

It's another Friday and the weather continue to be great to play Wau. I've reminded Rang to remind Chief of his promises to play Wau with the kids. And I really hope he won't be disappointing them again.

"Rang where is Chief?"

"I am not sure Tian, I've already remind him this morning na." Oh... I know Rang did.

It's clear to me.
That Chief chose not to come.
Now it is obvious.
He is avoiding me.
I've been ignoring this fact because I don't want to think the worse on anything. But again, his action proven me right.

I look at the kids, I hate seeing their sad face.

"Now kids, lets not wait for Chief any longer. Lets play Wau together. I play it well also na..." There's no excitement on their faces and I know they won't budge from the idea of playing Wau with Chief. Chief is like their big brother and they've been looking out for it for almost a month now.

I am fuming with anger right now.

I am going to make sure Chief Phupha deal with me.

I don't care if I need to stay waiting for him at the base all day and night. I'm going to make sure I'll got some answers.

The last time we met, we haven't spoken a word. Just him and Luke with their own mind games that neither of them bother to tell me about.

"Rang can you help me take care of the kids and bring them home once they finish. I got to find some green giant to chew!"

"But he is not at the base Tian." Rang try to talk me out of hunting that green giant.

"I don't care if I need to wait for him till he come back. He needs to deal with me now." Without further awaits I just makes my move to the base.

As I arrived, Rang was right he was not at base. But I don't care. It's 10AM I'll wait.

1PM I am waiting.
4PM still waiting.
7PM yup still am waiting.

Rang and Yod keep on coming with food asking me to eat. But I won't bother.

10PM and finally there he is. He doesn't look shock, so I guess he was aware I am waiting for him.

Looking at him standing there as miserable as I was.

It's feel like a deja vu, only this time I don't have to shave him.

And out of sudden I feel so tired.

I feel numbs.

And all goes dark and I heard Chief, Rang and even Yod scream for my name.

"TIAN !!!"

=====