Part Forty-Two: Chapter 316: Bitter Betrayal

Jester got Harley all patched up. Then, while J was still gone, managed to sneak out without Ace noticing. That was a genius feat in itself. Ace took his job quite seriously, because his life truly did depend on it. Jester was fully aware that his actions could potentially get Ace in a lot of trouble. But Jester wasn't really thinking about all that.

His mind was stuck thinking about the look in his twins eyes as he had pointed his gun at his head. That was twice now that the Joker had pointed a gun at Jester. The first time he tried to brush it off by telling himself that it was just J reacting in the heat of the moment. Out of anger. Jester had voiced his opinion about it, and the two moved on. But this time when it happened, he realized that the Joker truly was capable of ending his life. He could see just how little he really meant in his brothers eyes. And Jester knew, it was only going to be a matter of time before his brother does kill him.

He couldn't allow it to come to that. He couldn't stand by and watch as the Joker turned on everyone that cared about him. He couldn't handle watching him kill anyone else either. The Penguin was right, everyone who came into contact with the Joker was merely a pawn to him. Expendable. Disposable. And when they became a problem to him...well, we all know that the Joker kills his problems.

Jester was finally seeing the forest through the trees. And he knew his brother had to be stopped. But Jester couldn't stop him by himself. And he only saw one other person that could help bring J down.

So his destination was to the Riddler's place. But that wasn't as easy as one might think. One, going in public as the Joker's twin is something that turns heads and draws a lot of attention. Two, attention means people taking pictures and videos, which could come to J's attention. Three, J was a fucking genius who would figure out that his brother was up to something. Then he'd kill him that much faster. So getting to the Riddler's place under the radar was tough.

Jester chose to call an Uber driver. But, a transaction would show up from a credit card if he takes the ride. J could track down the Uber driver and get his records if he was the least bit suspicious. So unfortunately, Jester has no option but to kill the Uber driver and steal his car. He hated doing it, but he honestly had no other choice.

When he reaches the Riddler's place there's still another obstacle that must be overcome to keep his actions hidden. He knows that J is having the Riddler watched. If a single clown sees him, it's all over. And J had clowns quite literally everywhere in Gotham. There were far too many to remember. That's why the Joker has them get tattoos.

But Jester does make it. And somehow he manages to get the Riddler to speak to him. He's led to the Riddler's office by six men with guns trained on him. He wonders if this is normally how the Riddler rolls, of if he's anticipating trouble?

When Jester walks in the Riddler looks up from his desk. His appearance seemed disheveled. He looked stressed. And he definitely didn't look like he was in the mood for a chat.