Part Forty-Four: Chapter 328: Sealed With A Kiss

Harley walks down the hall and peers into the Joker's room. He wasn't there. But his bed had been surprisingly slept in last night. At least he hadn't spent the night with his whore. Harley looks down as she feels tears working up in her eyes. She quickly leaves the Joker's doorway and approaches Jester's.

She doesn't knock, she just gently opens the door and walks in. Jester was asleep, laying on his stomach. Harley kneels next to the bed. She gives Jester a little shake. "Jester?"

Jester's eyes open and he gives her a humble smile, but it quickly disappears as he grows more awake. "Harley, you shouldn't be in here. J's going to..."

Harley cuts him off, "I need to go somewhere Jester. Somewhere away from here," she whispers softly. "I'm leaving him Jester. But I can't leave with Lucy right now. Can you please look after her until I can come for her?" She asks, practically begging on her knees at his bed side. Her frantic eyes told Jester she was serious.

Jester solomnly nods. He was so proud of her for finding the courage and good sense to walk away from J. Especially before the inevitable happens. "I'll try to make sure you get Lucy back. And if I can't, I'll make sure she's safe and away from J. I promise."

Harley smiles and presses her lips to Jester's for a brief kiss, "Goodbye Jester."

"Goodbye Harley," he swallows.

***********************

Harley walks into the downtown Gotham Hotel and rents a room. Nothing flashy, just one of the regular rooms. She slides a key card into the lock and unlocks the room. She walks in and looks the room over. She stands at the window and looks out at the city for a long while.

She eventually sighs a sigh of relief and looks down at the phone in her hand. She types:
I need to see you now. Gotham Hotel room 1192.
And then she hits send.

**********************

Half an hour later there's a light knock at Harley's hotel room. She takes a deep breath and nervously crosses over to the door to answer it. When she opens the door she sees Jason standing there, shrouded in a hoodie and not his Red Hood suit. But his face had changed. He'd already had some surgeries to restore his face to the Joker's. Harley stands aside to let him in.

"I see yer already turnin' into him again," Harley swallows.

He cautiously enters and pushed his hoodie off his head and ruffles his green untamed curls. "I only have to the end of the month to become him," he tells her. "Why did you need to see me? Is it money?"

"Yes," she says, "an no."

Jason turns to face her. Harley moves closer to him, "He's got a girlfriend," Harley looks down, "so I left him."

"Did he hurt you?" Jason's hand goes to her cheek as he looks her over, looking for signs of a beating.

"No," Harley touches his hand on her cheek, "he don't know I'm gone yet."

"Where's Lucy?" Jason's eyes grow larger.

"I couldn't bring 'er. I-I don't even know where we'll live yet. Jester'll keep her safe 'til I can go back fer her," she assures him.

Jason nods, "I trust Jester. If you left with Lucy he'd just hunt you down more mercilessly. You did the right thing," he assures her as his fingertips lightly graze her jaw. "I can send you to one of Bruce's safe houses. They have the kind of security J can't penetrate. I can keep you and Lucy safe there."

Harley nods and her eyes flutter away. Jason's hand slowly leaves her face. "I've been thinkin' a lot 'bout everythang ya told me. 'Bout how he neva loved me. You were so right," she says as a tear rolls down her cheek. "But you do love me...an ya said yer door'd always be open fer me," Harley glances back up at Jason and sees the hope in his eyes light up his entire face. "Did ya mean it?"