Part Forty-Four: Chapter 330: The Gentleman

The following day Julia received a knock at her door. Living in the Narrows had made her suspicious of everyone and everything. With a rub to her eyes she crawls out of bed. She picks up her gun off the nightstand and creeps closer to the door. She stands on her tip toes and looks out of her peephole. She sees nothing. She gently unlocks the door and leaves the security chain in place. She cracks the door and peers outside. No one is there, but there's a large gift wrapped box sitting there.

Confused, Julia shuts her door and removes the chain. She reopens the door and retrieves the gift. She takes it over to the couch and gives it a listen first. She was after all mixed up in investigating a very dangerous person. A person who could very easily place a bomb on her doorstep. But the box didn't appear to be ticking. She feels all over the box, searching for any warm spots. They could indicate a bomb as well. No warmth. So Julia gives the box a shake. She can hear something rustling inside, but it didn't sound threatening.

So still remaining cautious, she carefully unties the bow. She lifts the lid to find that something was wrapped up in tissue paper. She folds it back to find a dress with a note laying on top. What the...and then it hit her. Jester. Julia quickly opens the note to check her suspicion. It was indeed from Jester.

- I saw this and thought you would look beautiful in it tonight.
-Jester

A smile comes to Julia's face as she lifts the dress out of the box. It was a strapless red dress that was short in the front but long and flowing in the back. Normally, Julia hates red. But it's the thought that counts, right? She looks at the tag. Designer. Her smile spreads as she thinks of a pair of heels in her closet that would match perfectly. She couldn't resist buying them when she saw them, but has yet to wear them.

Julia had to give it to Jester, he definitely had good taste. And judging by this dress, he was taking her somewhere really nice and expensive. She's never been to any nice places before. As a cop she'd investigated them, but has never personally enjoyed such. She refused to admit that she was intrigued by it all by reminding herself that she was completely tricked into the date.

********************
Jester promptly arrived to Julia's apartment on time. Fifteen minutes early actually. Ace gets out and opens his door. He straightens his immaculate suit and starts to take the stairs when he sees Julia coming down them. She must have been watching from her window to see when he arrived.

Jester is completely in awe of her beauty, "Wow, I had planned to come to your door," Jester flashes her that smirk of his, "but getting to watch you walk down those stairs is much more rewarding

Jester is completely in awe of her beauty, "Wow, I had planned to come to your door," Jester flashes her that smirk of his, "but getting to watch you walk down those stairs is much more rewarding." He extends a bouquet of red carnations out to her, "I thought roses might be a bit too presumptuous," he shrugs.

Julia couldn't help looking him over from head to toe. He was always immaculately put together, but tonight he somehow found a little something extra. "Aren't any flowers presumptuous?" Julia asks and gives them a sniff.