Wanted

Bucharest, Romania. May 2016.

James wakes early, the sun beginning to rise in the pale sky. Light washes into the room through the open window across the room. A soft breeze blows the shear curtains, the smell of rain clinging to the breeze. He lays his back, his arm under Ana's head, using his bicep as a pillow. She lays against him, her arm laying across his stomach and her right leg tangled with his, her knee against his groin. Their bodies still naked from their love making the night before, an off white sheet tangled around their legs.

He sighs and smiles, glancing at Ana. In awe of her, as he usually is. He carefully slips out of their bed, careful not to disturb her sleep. She barely moves when his body is no longer under her. He walks to this dresser, grabbing a fresh pair of clothing and quietly gets dressed. He looks at his apartment they moved into the day after they reunited. No need for her hotel room, not when he had a safe house here. It's small, simple and clean. But all that mattered was that he was with Ana.

She's been back with him for 3 weeks. It took nearly a week for them to finally do something other than worship each other, on every surface in the place. He looks up at her, his tongue slides across his bottom lip thinking about her mouth on him while he sat in this very chair. He wanted to get food, she wanted to devour him. And she did.

He grabs his boots, tying them without thinking. They need to discuss what their next plan is. He's been in Bucharest for too long, he needs to move. He's suddenly struck with a sense of sorrow. He's on the run, from everyone. How can he give Ana the life she deserves? They can marry and be on the run but he can't give her children. Not like this. He wants kids with her. For 70 years he thought he lost his chance of a family. Then he met her, and it's time to start working on a life together.

He stands, quietly walking over to her, pulling the sheet over her bare back. His eyes falling on the scar, it took him years to not hate himself for the one he gave her. He wants to pound Steve's face in for giving that to her. Accident or not. He never should have lost his temper and thrown that damn shield with Ana so close.

He leans down, and presses his lips to her cheek. The stubble on his chin scratching her, making her wake slightly.

"Hmm, hi."

"Go back to sleep doll."

Ana lifts her head when she notices he sounds more awake. "Come back to bed."

"I will, but we need to eat. I'm gonna grab breakfast."

Ana grumbles.

"Stay here and keep the bed warm."

"What time is it?"

"Just after 6."

Ana quickly does the math, "then its.... 11pm in New York. I should call Sam today." She lays her head back down.

James nods. "Ok, but sleep now. I'll be back." He kisses her again. Ana smiles and drifts back to sleep.

He walks to the door, taking another look at the woman who changed his life. Grateful for everything that has happened in his life, no matter how terrible to bring her to him.

..................................................................................................................................................

Ana stands in the small kitchen of their safe house hours later. James had returned from the market an hour after he left, with fresh cut flowers and bags of food. Ana glances over at the flowers he brought home, and smiles. Home.

Her smile falters, they can't stay much longer. They both know it. Where will they go next? Maybe she can figure out a way to grant him santurary back in the states. She'll have to talk to Tony about it. Although in truth is Rogers she should talk too. That man can move mountains if he wants something done.