Finding The Way Back

Carter Residence, Madripoor, Indonesia. May 2024

Ana woke a few hours later, when her body felt unusually hot. Opening her eyes she immediately see's James' sleeping face. She smiles, as her eyes move across his face. His head rests on his flesh arm while the bionic one holds her hips close to his. Ana leans into him and gently kisses his cheek before slowly slipping out of bed and quickly undressing, she needs another shower. Her body sweaty from laying so close to James. Sometimes he cools her fire, if she's upset or angry. Almost like he absorbs her heat. Other times he ignites her, turning the smoldering coal inside her into a blaze just by being close. This was one of those times.

James wakes shortly after Ana, when he no longer felt her next to him. He finds her in the shower and debated joining her, but decided against it. He'll wait until she tells him she wants him again. He waited on the bed, it took all of his will power to stay put when she came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel. Her hair wet, skin damp and tinted red from the hot water.

I'm still not sleeping with you yet soldier.

I know. His eyes blow out watching her.

She slips the towel from her body, no longer trying to be modest. He's seen her before, hundreds of times, but still he looks away, not because it's polite but because if he doesn't he'll take her where she stands.

She keeps her eyes on him while she gets dressed. What's wrong James?

Please don't set me on fire. But I want to talk to you about you and Steve.

Ana sighs and sits on the bed next to him, half dressed.

Ok, what about us. And by the way, when I said that I didn't mean you. You can ask anything about Steve and I.

He nods, Ok. Well, you know you and I have always had a very physical relationship, and the emotional parts are there. But Sam pointed out that our communication is off. We don't talk. You and Steve confine in each other even though you aren't together. I bet you still tell him everything.

Not everything, but the important things.

More than me. All we do is have sex, a lot of really really good sex. Even when we lived together in Romania our days revolved around sex, sleeping, eating and more sex. And if I'm going to be your husband I need to know things. We need to talk, like you talk to him. I want us to have the relationship you and Steve had.

Ana is quiet for while.

See, this is what I mean. He pleads. You have to tell me what you're thinking.

You and I haven't had to experience a lot of life as a couple outside of HYDRA or Romania. Steve and I had years in the real world. Even then we didn't talk about everything. He didn't know how I felt about you, he didn't know the nightmares were about you. And that when we were in Wakanda I'd go out to the balcony after a nightmare to be with you. My point is, even married, we didn't talk about everything. But the important things he knew, or I knew. Ana laughs softly, one point I think T'Challa knew more about how I was feeling then Steve did. That was before you woke up, I was a mess.

She turns towards him, and holds his left hand. The vibranium purring under her finger tips. I want more with you than I had with him.

What can I give you that he hadn't been able too. I'm barely stable.

You just need purpose James. I think this is giving you purpose, working for the greater good. Stopping the bad guys. Being partners again.

James smiles at that.

A knock on the door interrupts them and Sam pokes his head in. His eyes squeezed shut. You two better get dressed and get out here.

We're dressed bird brain. No sex until I've forgiven him.