Is Now A Good Time?

Marietta, Georgia. April 2024.

Hours later Ana struggles to get comfortable on the plane back to States. She's tired but can't sleep. Every time she closes her eyes she sees the shield flying past her face. A blur of red white and blue, she feels the rush of knowing Steve is near. Followed by the deep disappointment she felt realizing it was him. Ana leans her head back, and rolls her shoulders. She shouldn't even be thinking about Steve, not when she's decided to be with James. Maybe it's because the shield thing really bothers her.

She opens her eyes and looks around. She's too worked up, and can't get comfortable. Sam lays on the passenger seats across from her while James sits angrily on the large cargo bin type table. His feet bouncing rhythmically off the heavy plastic, his elbows on his knees. Her words echoing in his mind,

We're still very very close.

I was with him up until 3 days ago.

Anastasia Rogers.

She said her name with so much pride, like she's happy to be Rogers. But then asked that Torres kid not to use her last name. God, they need to talk.

He looks up when Ana sighs, seeing her not being able to get comfortable. He knows she needs to calm down, being close to him is all she needs. He jumps down from the box and walks over to her.

Ana, his voice soft despite the anger when he sits next to her. Come here, doll.

She opens her eyes and looks at him. He points to his lap, lay down.

Are you sure?

You need to sleep.

What about you?

I'll sleep once you're asleep. He unzips his leather jacket and takes it off. Preparing to cover her with it.

Ana nods, and slides down a seat so she can lay her head on his thigh. She turns facing into him, inhaling. A familiar sense of calm washes over her. Even after all this time apart, he can make her feel better. She closes her eyes, breathing him in again. She inches closer to him, and slides her upper arm around his waist. She reaches her hand under the back of his shirt, seeking skin. A habit she didn't realize she did until sleep almost took over. He looks down and smiles at her. His skin burns where her hand touches him.

Thank you. Ana whispers.

Sam looks over as James lays his hand on Ally's hip and gently moves her hair away from her face with the other. 

Man I'm going to say the same thing I told Cap before they got together, talk to her. Physically you two are on the same page, that obvious. The sexual tension you two emit could turn a nun. But emotionally, ya'll need to figure it out. You're angry because she kept you in the dark and stayed away, she scared to open up to you because she doesn't want to lose Cap. Sam declares.

Why would she lose him? James studies Ana's face, she smiles softly while his fingers traces circles on her hip.

Picking you means losing him. Right now by picking no one, she can keep you both. She'll probably kill me for saying this, but she was going to call you after the mission. She wanted to see you. She told me she wants you, but you have to understand she loves Steve and those feelings for him don't seem to go away. He's the father of her children, she may always have feelings for him. But she hasn't been imitate with him since the divorce. You should be happy about that.

James doesn't respond. He knows Sam was trying to help but he's more confused now than he was before. It's Germany all over again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------