The Plan

Avengers Compound, New York. April 2025.

Captain Rogers, your wife and Mr. Barnes have returned to the property. FRIDAY's voice interrupts his meeting with Sam.

Have them come to the conference room please.

Of course Sir.

So what's the plan? Sam asks Steve.

Isn't this your job Captain America? Steve jokes.

Sam shrugs, figured you would want to take point on this since it's your wife in danger and all.

I do, but... He trails off.

What is it Cap?

I don't think Ana is strong enough to take out multiple bambinos at one shot. If we had additional time, yes. But I think with a group this size and we're probably going to lose the element of surprise. I don't think she's going to have enough time.

Sam crosses his arms, She's powerful enough, but under the right circumstances.

What's going on in here? James asks, walking into the room without knocking.

Where's Ana? Steve asks, looking behind James.

She wanted to see the kids first. Did something happen when we were gone?

Steve nods.

Yeah, we got some new information. We'll debrief you once Ana gets here. Cap and I were just discussing a way to make Ana stronger, so she can take out all the Bambinos at one time.

James pulls his eyebrows together and folds his arms. OK, how?

Sam sighs, knowing they aren't going to like this. Have you ever seen Ana lose control?

James nods.

Sam waits quietly for James to elaborate, holding his hand out indicating for James to continue.

When she found out Hydra took Winnie. She released a burst of energy that killed 30 some people at once.

Sam looks to Steve, when Ana found out about James fucking Sharon, she did the same thing. Thankfully we didn't die but we could have. She had some control.

Steve starts pacing in front of Sam and James, scratching his beard and thinking hard. So we need her to loose control.

Sam nods.

How are we going to do that? James asks. Not thrilled about unleashing Ana onto anyone.

You tell me Buck. Steve orders.

James runs his hands over his face and through her hair, we need to break her heart.

Sam shakes his head. Not we. One of you has to do it.

James automatically backs up and shakes his head. I can't do it! She'll reject me then we both die. It's gotta be you. James looks to Steve.

He closes his eyes and lowers his head. We just got re-married, we're in a great place. He pleads.

It's gotta be you. Sam repeats, and it's gotta be at the right time.

How am I supposed to do this exactly? Steve shoves his hands in his pockets.

What's the one thing that would hurt Ana the most? Sam asks the men.

I have an idea. James answers. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve puts on a brave, happy face when Ana walks into the conference room 20 minutes later. If he wasn't trying to hide his dread due to the conversation he'd just had, his heart would have skipped a beat seeing her.