X-Gene

Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. New York. June 2024.

Ana holds James hand tightly as they walk across the lawn of the Charlies Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. Sam and Zemo follow close behind, unsure what to expect. Ana seems right at home. She spots a large blue hairy creature walking towards them and a smiles spreads across her face. Ana releases James hand and runs into the arms of the blue creature.

Hank!!! She squeezes him.

Ana. God you look incredible. I can't believe you have two kids. He squeezes Ana hard.

Now we know why the arm doesn't bother her. Zemo speaks to Sam, James glares at him.

They reach Ana and the beast known as Hank. Ana turns and introduces everyone. Her smile widening at her friends.

Hank, this is James. We're together. She pauses, and looks at him. He nods, making Ana smile. And Sam and Baron Zemo. We were kind of in the middle of a mission when Samual called.

Guys, this is my first friend ever. Henry McCoy.

Hank. He corrects her, making her smile. I take it you're her Avenger friends.

Just me. Sam raises his hand.

I'm an escaped convict. Zemo explains sounding almost proud.

And I'm the Winter Soldier. James grabs for Ana's hand.

Really Ana? The Winter Soldier and Captain America. Hank laughs. Literally opposites sides of the same coin. Somethings never change do they? He shakes his head.

Speaking of Cap. Where is he? Ana asks.

In the lab. You're a little late A. He teases.

Shut up Beast. She retorts.

You know where it is, he's with Emma Frost. She runs the institute.

Where's Charles? Ana asks confused.

Hank is quiet for a moment, we tried to call you. But, I don't know. Did you vanish?

Ana nods.

Charles was killed by Gene a couple years ago.

Gene? Grey?! Ana's eyes immediately fill with tears. I'm sorry... I didn't know.

Hank nods. It's alright, we're making do. You alone will keep us in business if you keep this up. Stop having babies Ana.

Ana rolls her eyes, and wipes a tear away as it falls from her cheek.

There's a grave site out behind the institute, near the tree we used to hide in. You should visit him. He was very proud of you, becoming an Avenger and all.

Ana smiles. I tried.

I'll let you get to it. You know where to go. He smiles warmly at Ana before nodding the James.

Great. Add him to the hoard of men who want you. James grumbles.

Oh stop it. No he doesn't. Hank and I were friends before I even knew what I was.

Doesn't mean he doesn't want you now.

Ana shakes her head. Come on. Lab is in the basement.

So this is where you grew up Ana? Sam asks, staring up at the huge brick mansion in front of them.

Yup, for as long as I can remember anyway.

Ana leads them up the stairs and into the house, children run in every direction, different mutations everywhere. This is their safe place. Ana explains, they don't have to hide here. We all understand each other.