Breaking Point

Madripoor, Indonesia. May 2024.

Ana walks into the living room space while Sam puts a shirt over his head. She looks at him but says nothing, her head all over the place. The last thing she wants to do is go to a party. She wants a bed and her man and no interrupts for at least 12 hours. She isn't sure if she'll get any of those things. Zemo notices Ana is in a rough place and offers her his drink as she walks towards him. Ana glances at James dressed in all black. Ana nods to Zemo, taking his glass and swallowing the contents without caring what it was. Zemo tilts his head and blinks hard before shrugging when Ana gives him the glass back.

She vaguely hears Sharon telling Sam about why she hasn't tried to go back to the States. Ana is too concerned with the man sitting beside her on the couch. He watches her pull her legs up under her body and turns towards him. She dusts off his shoulder and meets his eyes.

You're gorgeous doll. He speaks to her in a low tone.

She smiles at the name, and looks him over. His hair is a little damp and pushed back. He wears a black t-shirt under a black sports coat with leather lapels and black slacks. Black truly is his color, his eyes stand out brightly when he wears black.

So are you.

Pink rises in his cheeks while he looks away, staring at his hands in his lap. Ana knows he's feeling the same things she is.

We have some things to talk about later, don't we? Her voice low and apprehensive.

James nods.

Are you still with me? She can't help the feeling of doubt they're feeling. Her heart skips a beat in her chest asking that question, and not in a good way.

He sighs and nods again. Not looking away from his hands. Ana inhales his sweet intoxicating scent before turning away. Her eyes moving rapid across the room to stop the tears from falling. Sharon's voice brings Ana out of her own head. She turns back towards James but looks over the side of the couch listening to Sharon and Sam talk. Ana needs a distraction.

You know the whole hero thing is a joke right? Sharon asks Sam. I mean the way you gave up that shield. You must know it's all hypocrisy.

He knows. Zemo calls from across the room.

By the way, how is the new Cap? Sharon tries to be serious when she asks.

Ana scoffs and turns back around on the couch, throwing herself back agains the cushions.

Dont get me started. James finally speaks.

Please you buy into that whole stars and stripes bull shit. You were Mr. America once. Cap's best friend. And you, Sharon smirks at Ana. You're a little biased. You're his wife after all.

Ex wife. Ana grumbles.

Sharon laughs. Yeah, on paper. But whose home are you going to when this is said and done. The man who is only good enough for you to fuck whenever you feel like it or the father of your children.

Ana stands and walks away.

Wow. James watches Ana as she moves towards the bar. She's kind of awful now.

Now? Ana breathes.

Sensing the tension between Ana and James, Sam speaks and changes the subject. Kari Morganthoue and at least seven others have taken the serum. We know it's a risk but we need to find this guy.

We have a name, Wilfred Nagel. James looks away from Ana, unsure where her head is at. It worries him.

Sharon exhales loudly, Nagel works for the power broker.