Putting Down Roots

Wakanda, Africa. December 2016.

December in Africa is summertime. Temperatures this year are at a record high. Ana traded her usual body wrap for a good old pair of jean cut offs and a crop tank top. Her bare feet pad across the stone floor of their apartment. Her long black hair is pulled off her neck in a high ponytail and twisted into a knot at the top of her head. She stands at the large window overlooking Wakanda coming to life below them. She smiles and before turning and looking around at their new home.

Steve had asked T'Challa to let them have some land so he could build them a small cottage. T'challa refused, claiming Steve and Ana are heroes and should be treated as such. So instead of a small two bedroom cottage like they were hoping for, they received a four bedroom two story apartment inside the palace. T'Challa said it was the perfect place for a young family to expand. Samual was only 2 weeks old when T'Challa and Steve began discussing the possibility of more children. Steve determined to have is own baseball team.

Ana sighs softly enjoying the quiet of the morning. She realizes sadly she hasn't been to see James in over a month. After Steve's proposal her visits to her ex, if she can even call him that, became further and further apart.

It killed her at first, but she gave herself to Steve and that meant pulling away from James. Every time she sees him the wounds split open again. It was easier to just stop going to him. To stay with Steve and block out the other part of her life. Ignoring the pull, and instead telling her aching soul to shove it.

Ana walks back into the kitchen, the single tag she now wears around her neck bouncing against her chest. She grabs it and put it back in its rightful stop between her breasts. Ana took James' tag off the chain the same day she put his ring away. There was a shift between Steve and Ana that day, when he realized Ana was his. Somehow it brought them closer together. He knows she still has feelings for James, but she doesn't talk about them. Or him.

Samual's shrill cry erupts through the apartment. She sets her coffee down and waits. Steve is still upstairs in bed, Samual in the bassinet next to him. At 4 weeks old their little super soldier eats more than he sleeps. She expects Steve to bring his son down to her any minute for his breakfast. Sure enough, two minutes after Samual stopped crying, Steve walks down the steps in all his naked glory his son cradled in his huge arms. Although Samual is a big baby for his age, he's dwarfed by his father's biceps.

Ana leans against the concrete counter in her white and grey kitchen. Her eyes linger on her soon to be husband. She bite her lip when he walks up to her, passing his son over to her and grabbing a mug for coffee. He yawns before turning back to her.

"Just when I thought you couldn't get any damn sexier, you stop shaving, let your hair grow out and walk around naked holding a baby." She laughs and shakes her head. "I'm pretty sure you just got me pregnant walking down the stairs."

"You have no idea how much I'd like to get you pregnant again." He nuzzles against her neck. Gently kissing the tattoo under her ear, his tongue tracing the newly added double circle around the star.

She moans softly and turns to face him. "Baby first, then you." She kisses his cheek.

"So what is on your agenda today baby?" He asks her deciding not to make himself a cup of coffee and just drink hers.

"Nakia offered to train with me today."

She doesn't look at him when she says it and tries to hide her smile. Training with the King's favorite is a big deal to the Dora Milaje and every one else who isn't a Wife in Training. Nakia and Okoye felt it only right for Ana to pick up training again now that Shuri gave her the all clear, especially since she is a wife in training herself. But to her own King and not theirs. That's what the women of the palace call him, Ana's King. He loves it, she laughs about it. Even if it's true.

"Nakia? That's a pretty big deal, baby. Does T'Challa know?"

Ana shrugs. "I don't run everything I do past the King baby."

Steve lifts an eyebrow. "Yeah, but you two are as thick as thieves these days. Just wait until Wilson finds out he's been replaced."

Ana's eyes go wide. "Don't you dare tell him."

"Well it'll be hard to hide from him, he'll be here in a few weeks and T'Challa is worse that Sam ever was."

Ana pretends to be shocked. "I don't know what that is supposed to mean Captain Rogers."

"It means, Mrs. Rogers that as soon as I get you all to myself, another man comes in and I have to share you ... again."

"Oh please. T'Challa isn't James." Ana inhale sharply and freezes, it's the first time she said his name in nearly 3 months. Steve turns and leans his back against the counter, facing her. She almost always can read his face, this time however she can't.

"When was the last time you saw him?"

"Before Baby Bird was born. I don't like going anymore."

"Why not? I know still you love him." He shifts his weight on his other leg, his hip nearly touching her. She adjusts her hold on their son, freeing her other breast from her bra so Samuel can latch on. Steve watches his soon to be wife nursing his baby boy and smiles.

"Steven." Ana scolds.

"Don't you?"

"Why must you do this?"

"I want to know if my wife still loves another man, why is that an issue."

"Because Steven, I don't have an answer for you. You want me to say no that I don't love him and I'm not sure I can say that without lying. But I try not to think about it, or him. I try to focus on you and Baby Bird and us. You and me and right now. I'm marrying you in a few weeks. You, Steven Grant. I have a baby with you, a life with you. This is where I want to be. Not holding onto something I had in the past. Please let it go and move forward with me."

His lip lifts into a small smirk as he nods. "OK. You and Me and right now."

"Oh by the way I called Thor."

Steve throws his head back. "Christ Ana!, and pretends to be upset. When really he's glad she contacted their old friend.

"What? He's my best friend too. He should know about his nephew and I'd like him at the wedding."

"Why so he can steal you and take you to another planet."

"Ok now you sound like Sammy." Ana laughs.

Steve shakes his head and slaps her jean clad ass. "I'm going back to bed. I want you at least once before Nakia and T'Challa monopolize you all day."

"Aye Aye Captain." She teases him, turning her head silently asking him to kiss her. He leans into her without hesitation, his hands wrapping around her waist, his fingers grazing the thin white line across her lower abdomen. All that's left from her pregnancy, even her body snapped right back after they took Samual out. His tongue glides across her lip seeking access, she opens to him. His hands holding her tighter, pulling her body closer to him.

"Mhmm. Good morning husband."

He lifts an eyebrow. "Good morning wife. Don't be long, I mean it. I'm about to go all Captain America on your ass."

"Language Steven!" Ana yells as he walks away from, waving is hand above his head. Her head tilts drastically to the side as she watches him walk out of the kitchen the steps.

"Good Odin! You have the nicest ass I have ever seen, you know that?" She calls after him.

"Get up here baby." He orders making her laugh.

"Come on little man. Daddy is demanding my presences."