The Mind Stone

August 2018.

Steve leads his team down the steel and glass halls of the Avengers Compound to the briefing room. No one says a word about being back home, although everyone's nerves are running high. No one has been back since the Accords besides Vision. And after what happened in Scotland, he is willing to put all differences aside. Steve feels his wife's anxiety as she walks next to him. Ana grabs Steve's hand as they round the last corner before the briefing room. Their boots echoing off the tile floor under them.

Ana tries to suppress a smile as Coronal James Rhodes comes into view. Before him stands the holographic image of Secretary Ross. Ana's smile turns into a scowl as she bites the inside of her cheek and raises an eyebrow. Last time she saw him he was locking her up and throwing away the key.

Mr. Secretary. Steve greets the man in an overly polite tone. Ross glares at Steve before meeting Ana's eyes and looking down at their adjoined hands. Natasha stifles a smirk.

You've got some nerve coming here. Ross declares trying to intimidate them.

Looks like you could use some of that right now. Ana states. Steve squeeses Ana's hand, reminding her to remain calm.

Aliens show up and you suddenly think all can be forgiven. Ross scoffs, staring at Steve. You broke the law, harbored a mass murderer, and illegally released Miss Montgomery and Miss Maximoff, two highly dangerous criminals. Anastasia alone needs to be in prison.

It's Rogers Sir. Steve corrects him. I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her greatest defender, so we're here to fight. If you want to stand in our way, we will fight you too. 

Steve's eyes narrow as he takes a step closer to the hologram. Never threaten my wife again.

Ana smirks. While Natasha and Sam snicker quietly behind them.

Ross turns towards Rhodes, eyes blazing. Arrest them. He orders.

Yup, you got it. Rhodes replays before slapping the air above the holographic Ross and swiping the technology away. Hanging up from the call.

That's a court marshal. Rhodes lifts his hands signifying he doesn't particularly care at the moment. Ana smiles and descends the steps before giving Rhodes a tight hug.

Congratulations you two. Ana turns back and gives Steve a smile as he reaches forward and shakes Rhodes hand. When did this happen?

March of last year, after she gave me a son. Steve answers, unable to hid the joy in his voice.

No offense Cap, but I really thought she was going to pick the other guy. Rhodes admits.

We all did, Sam confirms. It's been a long two years.

Last I saw, Ana hated Steve and he tried to kill her. A male voice speaks from the far corner of the room, making everyone turn. An unsure smiles stretches across his face.

A lot has changed. Ana's voice quiet when she sees Bruce Banner walk slowly into the room.

Yeah. I'm back. He plays with his hands in front of his stomach looking at his old teammates.

Hi Bruce. Natasha speaks above a whisper. She never thought she would see him again.

Nat. He finally responds, starring at his past love interest.

So what's been going on? I assume you're here because of the attack on New York. Thank you for finding Vision by the way, he's only been kind of missing for two weeks. Rhodes speaks to everyone but mostly to Steve. He is the Captain after all.