Unbroken

Ana put her children to bed alone, enjoying the time with her babies. Grateful for James, who volunteered to clean up dinner, giving her and Steve the night to fix themselves. Annoyed with Steve for not making an attempt to even talk to her, not once during dinner or after. She stands in their room, her hands on her hips and huffs. Annoyed further by his absence.

FRIDAY, where is Steven?

Captain Rogers is in the gym ma'am.

Of course he is. She grumbles under her breath and spins on her heels.

James looks up confused when she walks into the kitchen. You're supposed to be moaning under Steve, not in the kitchen with me, doll.

I can't find him. And I'm pissed.

James laughs at her frustration.

Can't you and I just go upstairs and get into bed? She asks him. Her fingers dipping into his waist band.

No. You have a husband that needs attention.

Yea, you. Well maybe if you'd ask. Ana growls and rolls her eyes.

I love you. He calls after her as he walks away, leaving her to go to the gym alone. He laughs when she doesn't respond.

Ana makes her way down to gym, where she hears Steve pounding into a punching bag. He grunts when his knuckles come in contact with the worn leather. Sweat drenches his t-shirt, making the material stick to his body.

Ana sighs and walks into the room. Noticing the punching bag now includes red smears where his bleeding knuckles come in contact with the leather. She sits on the bench press and waits silently for him to finish. She knows that he knows she's there. She noticed the brief pause during a combo where no pause should be.

He stops and looks up at her, un-taping his wrist as he does. He winces slightly as the tape pulls against his knuckles. She stands and walks over to him. Gently taking his hand in hers. He watches her, her eyes give him nothing about what is about to happen. Her fingers grazing the soft skin on the underside of his wrist as she removes the tape. She gently presses her lips to broken skin. His resolves shatters at the sweetness of her gesture.

Ana picks up his other hand, her fingers quickly removing the tape before she kisses his knuckles on that hand as well. She flips his hand over, and brings it to her face resting her cheek against his palm before turning and pressing her lips against the rough callused skin.

Ana. He starts and drops his hand.

She shakes her head, stopping him. You think you hurt me this morning. But you didn't, not until you refused to talk to me.

I shouldn't have pushed you away. I'm sorry. He pulls her into his chest.

Why did you? And don't tell me it was because it wasn't your day.

He sighs, when I realized how banged up you were all I could remember was when I hit you with my shield and I thought I killed you.

So you pulled away? Ana looks at him confused.

Not my smartest moment.

Please don't pull away from me, ever. Ana slides her hands up his shoulders.

I won't, and I'm sorry for everything. He looks down at her. A faint smirk pulls at his mouth.

It's fine Steve, I'm ok. I'm not some weak little thing that needs protection. I'm an Avenger. I want to be treated like the guys, don't go soft on me because I'm a woman.

But you're my woman. And I should never have hit you the way I did.

Do you think James would go easy on me? Ana challenges him.