Keeping Tabs

Stark Tower, New York City. March 2025.

You knew, didn't you? Ana walks out into the kitchen at 5 minutes to 1am. James' dress shirt from dinner covering her otherwise naked body. Only the buttons at her breasts buttoned. The sleeves rolled up to her elbows.

Steve stands with his back against the counter, watching the sink drip, waiting for her. His sweat pants hanging loosely from his hips. She smirks.

He told me he was going to propose, and asked if it was alright.

So you gave him permission? Ana asks skeptically.

He nods, And I gave you permission to accept. I told you I wouldn't make you choose.

And that is one of the many reasons why I love you, but you don't think it's odd that the fiancé gave permission to the boyfriend to propose?

I think what matters is that you feel loved and can have both of us if that what you want.

Ana walks up to him, wrapping her arms around his waist and holds onto him tightly, burying her face against his chest.

It's what I want. Steve wants to kiss her, but he can smell James on her skin and knows they were together. James' dick was definitely in her mouth at some point tonight. One of the few draw backs to sharing the woman he loves with his best friend. She rests her head against his heart. Listening to it thump under her ear. Completely content.

What are you two doing down here? James walks into the kitchen, his eyes falling on Ana and Steve holding each other.

Just talking. Ana pulls away from Steve and smiles James. He's without a shirt, wearing only sweatpants.

Everything alright? He asks, looking over Ana to Steve.

Steve nods. But we should talk about somethings.

Ana pulls back from him completely, giving him a confused look.

Steve looks to James, the wedding is in 11 days. There's a lot of nerves around that. And I know Ana is having a hard time with her vows because she doesn't want to upset you.

Why would it upset me? James asks Ana.

She sighs and jumps up onto the counter between the two men. Because I'm going to be telling Steven how I feel about him and make him all these promises while you're standing 4 feet away. Listening to every word I say, but not saying it to you.

And you're worried I'm going be jealous?

Ana shrugs.

Then why don't you let me read your vows before hand, so I know what's coming and you don't have to worry about my feelings on day you're marrying him. James suggests, lacing his fingers between hers.

Ana chews on the inside of her lip.

I think that's a great idea. Steve agrees. Then he won't be blindsided by how you love me more. He chuckles and lifts his eyebrows. Ana smacks his arm.

Ow hey! Steve laughs.

He's kidding, Ana looks towards James. I don't love him more.

You do though, sometimes. James shrugs, which is fine. Because in the end, you can't live with out me. You're stuck with me for the rest of your life.

Lucky me. Ana teases and rolls her eyes. She looks and Steve and grabs his hand right hand while stilling holding James'.

So everyone is ok with these marriages happening? She asks. I think it's important that we go into this fully aware of everyones feelings. I don't want there to any any regrets, jealousy or second thoughts.