My Soulmate

New York City, New York. April 2024.

Why won't you just tell him that you're back baby?

Steve asks Ana, her back against the steel refrigerator in Steve's New York apartment. She huffs and looks around, AJ sits in his high chair waiting for his dinner while Sammy plays with his Captain America and Ironman toys on the floor.

I'm not ready yet.

She pleads with him. Seeing James could be life altering and she's come to like how things are in her life, mostly. Ana moved home from New Asgard two months ago, swearing to only stay with Steve for a few weeks until she could get a place set up. A few weeks turned into months and now everyone is hiding the fact that Ana is home from James.

So you won't see him, and you won't touch me. What exactly is your plan?

He crosses his arms on his chest and leans against the counter. Ana bites the inside of her lip, watching how his hips tilt to one side when he's angry or frustrated. And God is she frustrated. These day when Steve looks in her direction and their eyes meeting, her sex floods and aches for him. She squeezes her thighs together, determined not to give into temptation.

I'm working on it. She admits, half lying.

Well work on it faster before I lose my patience and have you where you stand. He glares at her in his seductive Captain America look that make her knees weak and her body call to him. She swallows hard and spins to go into her room. She needs release and refuses to get it from him, no matter how badly she wants him. She's waiting for James, but she's a coward and doesn't have the courage to go to him.

Steve considers following her. He saw how she squeezed her thighs together moments ago. He knows she's in need, and she wants him. He saw her pupils dilate, he knows the looks she gave him. He won't go to her until he asks him too. It's been two months and he thought it would have happened already. It hasn't, in fact she hasn't kissed him or even so much as hugged him since she moved in. She's determined to keep her distance.

In the two months since they've been living under the same roof, Steve retired from Captain America. Vowing to never pick up the shield again. His family needs him more than the world does, Captain America is replaceable. Steve Rogers is not. Ana almost bedded him that day.

Ana had been at home with the boys incase anything went wrong after he returned the Infinity Stones to their rightful places in time. She was so scared when he left on the day, she wished she could have been there. When he came home that night, after Ana had put their children to bed, he sat her down on the couch and explain he officially retired. Passing the shield off to Sam.

Ana was both thrilled and terrified for Sam. No one else in the world deserves that shield as much as he did, and if Steven wasn't wielding it then Sam should be. But it makes him a target. Captain America isn't seen as a hero by all.

Steve was sure Ana would come back to him once he retired, and for a moment she almost did. Until he told her James was there as had asked about her. Steve told him she was doing well, that AJ was perfect and that he didn't tell him where Ana was. Part of her just wished Steve would have said, she's living me with me but we aren't together. Come get her yourself. Steve would never do such a thing. He wanted Ana for himself, not to share with someone else. Lest of all James.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks later, Ana had been sitting in the living room nursing AJ. She had the local news on as a distraction from Steve and Samual playing Avengers in Samual's room when a story came in from D.C. The president announcing America's newest hero. The New Captain America.