Distracted

Stark Tower, New York City. February 2025.

James wakes with a stabbing pain in his right side and a warm body curled around his left. Sweat drips between himself and the other person where their skin touches. He turns his head and smells apples and vanilla. Ana. His heart thumps hard against his ribs. Which feel like they're on fire.

He struggles to open his eyes, it feels like they're full of sand. He looks around, blinking slowly trying to figure out where he is, and now Ana got to him. He moves his arm against her side and feels hard plastic where her warm delicious skin should be. He blinks again and looks down, his neck and back ache when he moves. A clear plastic tube sticks out of Ana's ribs, red droplets coat the inside.

Blood. His soulmates blood. His eyes rolls as he tries to focus through the icepick in his brain. Why would Ana have plastic tubes with blood coming out of her body.

The explosion.

Whatever happens to you happens to her. His mind trudges through the fog to remind him. Ana. His voice hurts when he tries to speak, his throat on fire. He turns his head again further to the left and sees Steve asleep on the chair beside Ana.

Steve. He tries again. The sleeping soldier doesn't move.

Steve. James does his best to put volume behind his voice. This time Steve jolts awake. His head lifting from his chest.

You're awake! Steve stands when he sees James looking at him. His eyes bloodshot and watering,

You look like hell man. Steve smirks.

I feel like hell. Where are we?

Home. In medical.

How'd I get here? James lifts his vibranium hand to his forehead, blinking through the pain.

Let's get Banner in here first to get a look at you, and get Wilson. I want to know what the hell happened.

James nods and hugs Ana closer.

What happened to her?

Two days ago she was laying with the kids watching TV and nursing Nat. She started choking up blood, Samual came to get me and I found her in the kitchen. She was practically throwing it up trying to breathe. Then she passed out in my arms. She's been out for two days, Banner was draining the blood in her lungs but it wouldn't stop, and he couldn't find a wound. So he kept an IV going of new blood and had machines breathing for her.

Christ.

She woke up about 10 minutes after I laid her with you. The bleeding stopped and her body got warm. You saved her life Buck.

I nearly cost it though.

I've informed Dr. Banner and Mr. Wilson that Mr. Barnes is awake.

Thank you F.R.I.D.A.Y. Steve keeps his eyes on Ana and James. We should wake her.

Ana, time to wake up doll. James lifts his vibranium arm and strokes Ana's face with the cool metal. It vibrates lightly against her cheek. She sighs and presses her body against James her arm sliding across his stomach down to his hip.

James swallows hard against the fire. And moves her hand up to his chest. Steve laughs,

She nearly dies and sex is the first thing she wants when she wakes.

Didn't you take care of this woman while I was gone?

Steve glares at him.

Dr. Banner walks into the room before Steve has a chance to answer, Sam following behind him. Anger in his eyes, furious with James.