Seven

On Monday morning, I woke up late, which made me late for school and dampened my mood for the day

On Monday morning, I woke up late, which made me late for school and dampened my mood for the day. The calculus teacher made it worse when he paired Ace and me for a calculus exercise. Of all people, Ace.

Honestly, I needed to be a lot more observant. I never knew Ace was in my calculus class until today. Or maybe he was always there, but he skipped classes. I was positive he wasn't in class on Thursday because I was looking out for him that Thursday.

Ace was the hardest person to work with. He kept flagging down every equation I solved, and it was getting on my nerves. I swear I was so close to punching him. One last straw and his nose was going to be bleeding.

"You're getting it wrong," he said, and I glared at him.

"What is your problem?" I snapped.

"I don't have a problem. You're failing," he switched to Italian at the end of the sentence.

"I don't need your help," I continued what I was doing.

"You're failing calculus," he repeated.

I clenched my fists, trying to control myself from punching him in class. The last thing I needed was a suspension or detention.

"I don't need your help and I'm not failing calculus," my voice came out louder than I expected, causing everyone in the class to turn to stare at us.

"Miss Thorne, is there anything you'd like to say to the class?" Mr. Anderson asked, and I shook my head.

Everyone went back to their business, so I sat back in my chair and let Ace do all the work since he was the smart one and I was failing.

I was actually failing and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how. I never failed a class before, so this was a shocker for me.

At the end of Calculus, Mr. Anderson shared our scripts from our last test and I nearly lost my shit. I knew Ace saw my script, and I knew exactly what he was going to say.

After the class, I stormed out and headed straight to the bathroom. I needed to do something about this, I couldn't fail.

After taking deep breaths, I stepped out of the bathroom only to hit a wall. I held my throbbing nose and looked up at the wall, or rather someone's chest.