Fifty Two

I was pumping my legs faster than I had ever done, making sure the distance between me and my opponent behind me was maintained. I gave her some credit, she was fast and if I wasn't on my guard she'd have gotten ahead of me already.

I was almost at the finish line and it felt like my legs were going to give up on me, I could feel the pang on my chest already as my lungs were begging for more air.

Olivia you can do this.

I gave myself a little pep talk as my eyes remained on the finish line, also fully aware of my opponent a few inches behind me. I could hear the voice of the crowd, some chanting my name and others chanting the names of their contestants. With one final push I got to the finish line, crossing just before my opponent.

I collapsed on the floor just as I crossed, my chest heaving up and down as I struggled for air. My legs were burning from how fast I pushed myself. My eyes were closed mainly because my head was facing the sky.

People were beside me in a flash and I felt the cold water on my head. I turned to my side, to avoid water entering my nose.

The cheers of the people plus people surrounding me was overwhelming and I felt like passing out.

"Olivia, stay with me," I heard his voice and I just wanted to open my eyes to look at him but it was so hard. My eyes were heavy, too heavy and I just wanted to give in but I knew I couldn't. The fact that they were closed made it worse, giving into the darkness seemed like the best option.

"Olivia," I heard his brother's voice and I knew that I dared not give in. if I did, I'd probably stay off the tracks for a whole year and if that happened, I wouldn't survive.

I felt him lift me up and place me between his legs. "Open your eyes Olivia."

His palm was on my forehead and I rested my head on his chest, breathing. Slowly, I opened my eyes. It was difficult but I was able to do it.

"Are you okay?" He whispered to me and I nodded.

I was squinting my eyes because the rays of the sun was just too much for me.

"Olivia," Ace shook me.

I groaned and turned to the side, covering my eyes with my hand.