Twenty One

In all my seventeen years of being my parent's child, the one thing they never missed was Thanksgiving dinner

In all my seventeen years of being my parent's child, the one thing they never missed was Thanksgiving dinner. No matter how far away they were they always found a way to get home in time for Thanksgiving. Work was put on hold and we come together as a family, cooked together and watched movies together.

We would all stay in the kitchen for hours cooking together, sometimes it was just my mum and I but the guys in the house didn't miss an opportunity to take a bite of what was being cooked or baked while in the kitchen.

In summary, it was our family bonding time. Mum would teach me some new recipes and I would put my not so existent cooking skills to use.

This year was different. No cooking together, no eating together and definitely no watching a movie together. It was just me, myself and I.

Mum and dad called saying that they wouldn't be able to make it this year that I should have fun with my brother. My brother said he got caught up in school work and he couldn't leave that he was deeply sorry.

So I threw myself on the couch, switched on Netflix with a tub of ice cream and of course chicken. Since I was not cooking it didn't mean I couldn't eat chicken.

When done with that, I took a bottle of some expensive red wine from the shelf and sat in front of the TV.

I got bored with that and picked up my phone, ordering pizza. Moments after I heard the doorbell and I stumbled to get up.

"I'm coming," I slurred, slipping on my fluffy slippers. I think I actually wore them wrongly but who cared?

Swinging the door open, I rested on it. "Yeah?"

"I'm wondering why you ordered pizza on Thanksgiving night." Ace said with a box in his hand.

I didn't respond but snatched the box from his hand and stumbled back into the house. Since I was drunk and didn't know what I was doing I tripped on my own feet and I was falling face flat on the floor.

Before I could make it, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me up.

"Easy there," Ace said steadying me.

"Get off me," I swatted his arm away and he released his hold on me.

I nearly fell again but was quick to hold myself, resting my weight on the wall beside me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, following closely beside me.

I didn't respond but walked or rather stumbled back into the living room, searching for my purse.

After that Monday, I hadn't spoken to Ace since then. I decided to work on my Calculus on my own. It was difficult but it was working. I was slowly getting a hang of it and I preferred to get it slowly that to let Ace tutor me.

If he had the decency to call and cancel then all would be well but he didn't. Instead he disappeared for a whole week, no calls or texts or even notes to tell me.