Fifty Four

"Are you sure you have everything you need?" Mum asked as I dragged my suitcase down the stairs

I yawned for the second time in one minute. I was tired. Because of Matt's confession, we stayed longer than planned at the party so I barely had time to sleep properly.

"Mum it's just one week, two at most, I have everything I need." I assured her for the hundredth time.

Since I woke up this morning and started my preparations to leave, every time she walked into my room, she asked the same question and I'd already grown tired of answering it.

"Your dad will be back by the time you should get back so I was thinking; we could all go to the beach house." Mum said while nervously wiping her hand on the kitchen towel.

"The beach house?" I hadn't heard that name from my parents in years.

"Yeah," she slowly smiled. "It's been a while we've been there."

Memories of our time in the beach house as a family quickly hit me like a ton of bricks but then as fast as they came, the bad ones came flooding in.

My family owned the beach house -well it's just a small house in Malibu but we liked to call it the beach house because it was close to the beach- for as long as I could remember and we used to go there every summer while growing up. Because of my parents' busy schedule, we'd spend two weeks but as time went on and they got busier, it slowly reduced to a week, then days until we stopped going there. The most painful part of it all were the times when my parents would have to leave for a business trip in the middle of our stay. Whenever it happened like that, we'd usually go back during Christmas to make up for the lost time but somehow they ended up leaving halfway again.

Slowly we stopped talking about the beach house and it's almost as if it wasn't there anymore.

"Yeah, it's been a while." I nodded and moved myself and my suitcase out of the house and to my car that Ace happened to be resting on.

Ace took the suitcase from me so I turned back to face my mum. "And how are you sure it's not going to be a rep-"

"It won't be a repeat, I promise." She was quick to cut in. "Your dad and I has cleared our schedule for the time we'll be there so I promise, it won't be a repeat of history."

I did miss the beach house and I thought it's worth it to give my parents a shot again. "Fine," I gave in, suddenly feeling the excitement. Now the excitement for the beach house had overpowered that of visiting USC.

"Great!" She sighed in relief. "Just tell me when you're sure to be done in USC and I'll book your flight straight for Malibu."

"Sure," I nodded and went in for a hug.

She held me tight as she ran her hand through my hair. "I love you and have a safe flight."

"Love you too mum," I finally pulled away but not before planting a kiss on her cheek.