Forty Three

It was the night of the fundraiser and as we would have it every year, a unique feature was recognized, this year, the organizers decided to make it a masked ball

It was the night of the fundraiser and as we would have it every year, a unique feature was recognized, this year, the organizers decided to make it a masked ball. This one decision made things a lot better for me, I could go to the ball with Ace and not bother about my parents breathing down my neck about taking him as my date.

As tradition of my parents would have it, we were all supposed to go together, to them it symbolized unity in the house and gave them this sort of power. But this year I decided to make an exception and Luke was in on it with me.

I didn't want my parents to find out about Ace, even if they may later on during the night but I'd like to keep it a mystery for now, after all it was a masked ball.

This year, Luke and I along with our dates decided to go in a different limo from our parents. It sure did take a lot of convincing but we were able to make it work at the end.

Mum and dad had left about ten minutes before we heard the first doorbell, it was Luke's date. Jenifer. She was friends with Luke in high school and apparently they still kept in touch with each other. I remembered having her around a decent number of times when our parents were around and a really large number of times when our parents weren't, the days when Luke would throw a party which I must say was most of the times.

At exactly 7:15, the doorbell rang and I knew it was Ace. He was always precise with time, I still remembered telling him to show up at 7:15 and he did just that. Luke let me open the door this time and I ran my hands over my dress for the umpteenth time and I heard Luke chuckle behind me. I turned to him with a glare and flipped him the bird before turning back around and opening the door.

Ace was standing there in his handsome glory and when his eyes landed on me he smiled. He was holding a bouquet of red roses.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hey," I felt my cheeks heat up. Something with the way he was looking at me made my whole body light up.

He was about to say something but Luke's voice stopped him. "There's no time for all that, we have to hurry or mum and dad would be breathing down our necks." I glared at him once again. "Hey Ace." He acknowledged Ace as him and Jenifer walked out of the house.

Ace handed me the flowers and I took the liberty to smell them, making my smile stretch further. "Thank you Let me put these in water."

I hurriedly found a vase filled it with water and dropped the roses in it before joining Ace on the front porch. I locked the front door and followed him down the steps.

Luke and Jenifer were already seated in the car. Ace opened the door for me and I stepped in, him after me. Ace and I sat facing Luke and Jenifer.

When the venue to the ball was finally in sight, Ace helped me tie my mask on just before he slipped on his black one. The car came to a halt and somehow my heart began to beat twice faster than normal.