Forty Six

"He did what?" My eyes widened as I stared at Ayo in disbelief

"He rose his hand to hit me but before it could land my mum came over and held his hand like my knight in shining armor," her eyes held a particular sparkle that was only there when she talked about her mum. I could see she loved that woman so much. "She was now like 'eh? Are you mad? You want to hit my daughter abi? Let me warn you, if you ever in your life try it again or even as much as breathe around my daughter, I will hang you by your balls. Pathetic idiot, get out of my house!' she then pursued him out of the house along with every other guest."

"Damn I love your mum," I chuckled, sipping on my iced tea.

"Honestly. The next day my mother just told me, 'Ayomide, pack your bags, everything that is valuable to you in this house pack it.' I sheepishly obeyed and not until we got to the airport did I understand. I even thought we were just travelling within the country sef until we started boarding the plane that she told me. Since that day ehn, I no dey joke with my mama oo." She ended her sentence with Pidgin English.

Apparently Pidgin English was also Nigeria's official language, alongside with English. Everywhere you went in Nigeria and spoke pidgin even if you didn't understand the language in that side of the country, you'd be able to communicate. She didn't miss a chance to add pidgin in her sentences as she spoke.

I didn't understand what she just said so I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Sorry I didn't understand that last part.

She laughed at herself, "sorry I said I don't joke with my mum."

I nodded, "your mum's quite the badass." I commented.

I understood the words 'joke with my mama' but the first part just confused the hell out of me. According to Ayo, Pidgin was a modified way of speaking English and it took someone that had lived in Nigeria for a while or someone who had stayed around Nigerians who speak Pidgin for a long while for them to understand. One word could have different meanings.

I didn't even bother trying to understand some words, she always told me what they meant.

We were seated at the Bean house on Friday evening after school. We were waiting for Ace and Matt to show up but when we got tired of waiting for too long, we ordered our own drinks and started talking.

All week the twins had sat with us during lunch and Matt seemed to be taking a liking to Ayo, I saw the way he looked at her.

Ayo was telling me about how after she lost her dad his relatives had come over to offer their condolences but really they had come to tell her and her mum to pack out of the house. While the adults were talking she went upstairs and walked past her uncle who held her back saying she didn't greet him though she had greeted him earlier when he walked into the house. They exchanged words and he was about to slap her before her mum showed up.

The family lawyer came over later though and said that the house was willed to Ayo so they had every right to stay in it. A lot of money had also been willed to Ayo too that way it was hard to bully Ayo of it, she was her father's child and even though the relatives didn't like her mum, they couldn't do anything about it.