Twenty Two

I knocked twice but no response

I knocked twice but no response. I knew Ace was home, his truck was parked in their driveway.

I knocked the third time and the door swung open. An angry Ace was standing in front of me, instead of his usual T-shirt or long sleeve he was wearing a grey tank top.

"What do you want?" He folded his arms.

I forced myself not to look at his arms, "I'm sorry."

He looked bored, "you came to apologize?"

I pulled my lips to a thin line, "yeah. I'm really sorry okay? I don't have an excuse for being-" I paused looking for the best word, "rude to you. I'm really sorry."

"Goodbye Olivia," he wanted to slam the door in my face but I held out my hand to stop the door.

"You make the best pancakes," was the first thing that left my mouth.

"You-"

"Yes, and they're amazing. Thanks for the coffee too, I really needed it. Also thanks for cleaning up my mess."

After seconds of him staring at me, he finally spoke. "Come in, it's cold out there," he opened the door wider ushering me in.

"Thank you," I smiled a little and stepped into his house, its warmth enveloping me.

Taking off my jacket and shoes I followed Ace to the living room, a place I'd not really been in. Even though you go through the living room to get to the kitchen I'd never been in his living room for more than two minutes, we always stayed in the kitchen.

He took an arm chair beside the couch and I sat on the couch beside him.

"I'm sorry for not calling you before," he apologized.

"It's fine, I guess you must have had really important things to do." I waved it off. There was no point in still being angry over something that had happened.

"So truce?" His eyes lightened up as he stretched his hand out.

"Truce," I shook his hand with a small smile on my face.

"So why did you spend Thanksgiving alone?" He stood up and walked to the kitchen.

I followed him, not exactly knowing how to tell him. I'd never spoken to anyone about my feelings so this was strange. I took in a deep breath before speaking, "my parents and brother missed Thanksgiving dinner." That was the best way for me to say it.

His face once again fell, "I'm guessing it's some family tradition huh?"

I nodded, "yeah. They've never missed it for once, yesterday was the first time and now I made you miss dinner with your brother."

"It's fine, I was going to be home alone anyways. Alex was working all night being Thanksgiving and all." He was searching the fridge for something.

"I did you a favor then," I smirked.