56 | Illegal Drug

There were many reasons why Fred wouldn't be able to sleep at night and one of them was Safe. It was nothing. He wanted to believe that it was nothing.

But seeing her was something he never thought he'd love.

After all those years, where he saw her every day and night. Only now did he realize how he took it for granted. After the war, after they broke up... he always longed for her presence.

Granted, she rejected him not too long ago but seeing her felt enough. The sight of her two-toned lips curved into a warm smile. Her eyes sparkled like fire, a fiery spirit behind her russets. That hair of hers flowed down her face, teasing him from covering her beautiful visage.

Getting to talk to her was enough. That playful tone of hers that always had him rolling his eyes in annoyance, a good one though, the one he loved. The way she made simple words sound poetic. Her witty remarks scratched his humourous skin. How she pointed out certain things without hesitation, simply to get him feeling like a pup.

Being her best friend was enough. The love she offered from all the years they've known each other. From all the small banters and silly fights. Her small caress through offerings of cookies. Being her guinea pig once she learned a new healing spell.

Is it?

Maybe.

And as he sat across Safe, daydreaming about her irresistible charm, he couldn't help but act foolishly. One would be unconsciously stabbing air on his plate.

"Do you want more?" Safe asked as a concerned look spread all over her face. She pushed her plate towards him.

"W-what?" Fred asked back, snapping out of his trance. He straightened up on his seat, removing his arm that leaned on the table.

Safe decided to place a quarter of her steak on Fred's plate, "You shouldn't forget to eat your meals, even though you're busy." She said as she retracted her hands back close to her.

Fred rolled his eyes, "Says you," He chuckled, mouthing 'thanks' to her after feeling the heat on his ears.

"Well, we're both stubborn, aren't we?" She exclaimed, then shoved a slice of bite-sized meat into her mouth.

They've already talked about their bachelor parties for George and Lee as they waited for dinner. It wasn't as complicated as Safe thought, let alone Fred thought. Both at the assumption of each other being difficult to work with.

Fred nodded, swallowing his food, "You're a bad influence."

Safe chuckled at that. She grabbed her wine glass, roaming her eyes around the resto. She then sipped every drop, savouring its taste with her eyes lightly closed.

The man across him only watched in awe, silently finishing his food, yet careful not to make a fool out of himself again.

She ended her sip with a low pop of her lips, pursing two-toned rims for remnants of the red wine. "So, we're all set for George and Lee's bachelor parties?" A devious smirk rolled over her lips. "We've got quite a plan." She added as she placed the glass back on the table.

"They won't see what's coming for them," Fred mirrored her expression. "It's their fault for choosing us as their best man and woman." He snickered, shaking his head in amusement.

"You make it sound like we're going to commit a crime," Safe observed, wiping her mouth with a napkin.

A waiter, carrying their bill, had just arrived closely behind Safe. He was close enough to hear what she had just said.