Task Three: Males

Chris Irwin

"Alice?"

That was the first thing I said when I woke up, and I groaned when I realized she wasn't beside me. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, and I wiped it away. She needed me to be strong, just as much as I needed her to be strong.

I sat up and looked around, and a saw a letter next to me. It read,

Period 1: Physical Education

Period 2: English

Period 3: Science

Period 4: Genealogy

Attendance is mandatory.

I gulped. I definitely wasn't looking forward to this. I really hope Alice is okay, and I hope Jaxon has kept her safe. I told her it will be okay, and I sure as hell hope it's okay.

I got up and slowly made my way to the old gymnasium, and I saw a list on the door.

Blue Team:

Chris Irwin

Kyrelia Falynnian

Sawyer Cook

Kristy Lee

Embeth Langley

Nathaniel Lee

Kobalt Mykeal

Red Team:

Jaxon Salem

Seraphine Martin

Jazzy Robinson

Seth Black

Caroline Smith

Alice Culpeper

Quinn Peterson

I sighed, and I pushed the doors open, walking slowly past the other students as I took a spot on the right side of the gym, behind the black line. The dodge balls in the middle of the gymnasium were slightly intimidating, spikes coming out of the sides of each one.

A couple minutes later, Alice and Jaxon walked in, and she and I locked eyes. My heart sank to the floor as I watched her gorgeous blond hair sway back and forth in her ponytail, and she walked even further away from me, taking her place across from me on the other end of the gym.

"I love you." I whispered as the bell went, signalling the beginning of the game. I thought I saw a small smile as it rang.

I was running around, avoiding dodge balls being thrown, and I threw a fair bit of them, and within seconds, three people on Alice's team and four on my team had been eliminated.

I felt the adrenaline flowing through my veins, and I ran to the side of the gym, grabbing a ball with 6 spikes, and chucking it as hard as I can at a girl on the other team. A blood curdling scream left her

mouth as it hit her hard in the chest. I gasp as she struggled to breathe, blood pouring out of her chest, and within moments, the girl drops to the floor. That could have been Alice...

Oh my god. What have I done?

An overwhelming wave of guilt sweeps over me, and I stumble, almost getting hit by a ball. There were three left on both teams, and I saw the panicked look in her eyes.

Alice had never looked this way before, not even when she was stressed out for mid-terms, she didn't want to have to hit me, and I didn't want to have to hit her other, but my team had to win. I didn't have a choice...