Chapter 21__Are you trying to rip me off?

Edmund had several histories if girls dumped by girls. He had money, good looks and a good temper yet they always dump him. He had thought he was fated to be alone all his life. When he saw her at the bar the other day, he felt strangely attached to her. He always find himself longing for her.
He drove into his compound happily that evening. Harriet had texted him to come home early to eat dinner.
He knocked and she opened the door smiling.
"Welcome home",  she said.
" Hmm", he muttered.
"Go and shower. Dinner is ready",  she said.
He scoffed.
'Why is she behaving like my wife? We are not even married yet. Did I said yet? I'm I planning to marry this kitten. Impossible.'
" You prepared dinner?", he asked her.
"No. I got take outs",  she said sincerely.
" Harriet, you have to start paying rents. Are you trying to rip me off?", he asked her. "You are rich for goodness sake."
"I love free things",  Harriet said.
Edmund sigh.
" Whatever. Let's discuss how much rent you will be paying later."
He said and walk upstairs.
Harriet ignore him and start arranging the table.
The door bell rang.
Harriet wondered if he is expecting someone. She opened the door and a beautiful woman probably in her late thirties entered.
"Hello.",  the woman greeted.
" Hi. Who are you?", Harriet asked the woman.
Could it be Edmund girlfriend? Didn't he say he is single. Could this woman be the one crushing on him? Is she some lady that is trying to seduce him?
Harriet sized the woman up. She is pretty and mature. Is this Edmund type? Then Harriet noticed the woman is holding a flask.
She even brought soup along. Harriet remembered the soap operas she'd seen before where spinsters will bring soup to the man they are dating at night. Is this the situation? Does this woman watch Drama at all? Didn't she notice that those techniques don't usually work? I get it, she is too desperate to cross out any option.
"I think I should be asking you that question, young lady"
Harriet rolled her eyes.
"Do you like Edmund?", Harriet asked the woman.
The woman smiled.
" Yes, I do"
Harriet sigh.
"Of course. He is too handsome. He should have ladies crushing on him."
"Pardon?"
"It's not your first time bringing soup to him right?",  Harriet asked.
" Yes. He likes my soup so much. The weather is getting colder. So I decided to bring hot soup.
Do you stay here?", the woman asked.
"Never mind.",  Harriet said.
" Mom?", Edmund called walking down the stairs.
"Why are you here without telling me!",  he asked the woman.
" I wanted to surprise you! Can't I see my own son again?", the woman asked.
"I didn't say that",  Edmund said and hug the woman.
Harriet could not believe this.
The young woman gave birth to him? How possible?
"Son, who is she? Your girlfriend?",  Edmund mum asked.
" Mum, this iz Harriet".
"Harriet meet my mum"
"She is really your mum?",  Harriet asked.
" I got that question a lot. I gave birth early. At sixteen", the woman said.
"I got married at that age after my man found out. I have a lovable husband you know"
"You gave birth at sixteen? Oh my God! That's why you look so young and even got a handsome man as a son. So admirable. I want to give birth early too.",  Harriet sigh.
" I guess it is too late", she added.
Edmund mum laughed.
"Mum, aren't you ashame of telling people your age?",  Edmund asked.
" Ed, don't call your mother mum when people are watching. It's weird. You two looked like lovers.", Harriet said.
"So you thought i was his girlfriend. That explains your behavior earlier"
Harriet was embarrassed.
"I'm sorry if I was rude earlier.",  Harriet apologized.
" It's okay. Do you stay here? You look like the madam of the house earlier.", Edmund mum said.
"No. I was about to live!",  Harriet shouted.
" Actually, she had a situation",Edmund said at the same time.
They both look awkward and Edmund mum looks like she is enjoying the show.
Harriet phone beeped.
It is a text from Harry.
"Good night. I need to meet my brother",  And she rushed out of the house picking her car key.
Edmund mum laughed.
" So cute", She said.

Harriet entered the private room. She hesitated when she saw Ray.
"Hi Harriet",  Ray greeted.
" Ray", Harriet called.
She sat down.
"Where have you been?",  he asked her.
" I met my Mr Right. I'm living with him ", she said.
" What? You are living with a guy? ", both Ray and Harry asked.
" Yes", Harriet replied like it's nothing.
"I will introduced him to you guys one day",  she added.
" Hope he is a gentleman? Hope he  is taking care of you?", Ray asked.
"Why? Did you tell me  you are engaged?",  Harriet asked.
" I'm not engaged. I'm serious ", Ray said.
" So who is Ava?", Harriet asked.
"Didn't you talk about a woman the other night?",  Harry asked him.
" Ava is the girl my parent introduced to me. They are match making us. And I have a girl friend. Her name is Dorris", Ray said.
"I met both of them. Dorris is cool, not Ava",  Harriet said.
" Ava wants to marry me. I'm afraid she will go after Dorris. I'm scared i won't be able to protect her from Ava", Ray said.
"Ray, you shouldn't be afraid of her",  Harry told him.
" I'm not afraid of Ava. I'm afraid of my parent. I'm afraid of what Ava will make them do ", Ray said.
Harriet sigh.
" I wonder why our parents are so concerned about family backgrounds. I wonder if the wealth they have is not enough that they keep on looking for more and they will even use marriage merge to do business? ", Harriet spat.
Harry kept quiet. He had no comment. He like the woman his parent had betrothed to him and he felt that it is a good thing meeting her and he will forever be grateful to his parents for letting him cross paths with the love of his life.
The thought struck him!
What if he is like Ava and Harley feels like Ray. Could It be that Harley did not like him? Did she have a boyfriend too? Did she dislike her parents too like Ray.
Could it be that she is at a club private room too talking to her friends about how much she hates him. About how much she loved her boyfriend?

📝📝📝📝📝
Happy new month, Readers.
Thanks for reading this book.

Your vote and comments is important to me.
I need your encouragements to keep on writing.
Don't be a ghost reader.

Happy new month once again.
I love this month coz it's my month.
Happy birthday in advance to me.