Chapter 40__She is worthy if more expensive gifts

Ray parked his car in the garage. He open the trunk to bring out the gifts he bought for his father in law. Dorris came out of the car too.
"Let me help you",  she offered. He bought so many gifts even though she told him not to bother. He had insisted to buy every thing.
" Don't worry. I can manage", he responded. He brought everything out .
"I wanted to come clean to your father",  he said as they walk to the elevator.
Dorris raise her brow as to say 'as how'
The elevator opened and they entered.
" I wanted to tell him that we are married", Ray said as Dorris pressed the button for the floor they are going.
She widen her eyes.
"Don't! My dad will want an extravagant wedding and we don't want that for now, do we?",  she asked.
" I do", Ray said.
Dorris sigh.
"But don't worry. I will respect your thought",  he said.
Dorris smiled.
" Thanks"
She is not ready to tell the world about her marriage. This time around not just because of her career but because of the kind of person Ray is. She still believed that they are not in the same league.
The Elevator opened and the couple walked out of the elevator There are three apartment on that floor. Dorris simply walked to one of them and enter the passcode.
The door unlocked and they entered.
They met Ashley and Douglas in the living room watching TV.
"Happy new year, Ash",  Dorris said opening her arms for a hug.
Ashley stood up and hug her friend.
" Happy new year to you too"
Ashley blushed when she saw Ray. Though, she is not really a fan girl,  She is still fawning on Ray.
"Happy new year",  Ray greeted her and sat himself on the sofa.
" Happy new year sis. Happy new year  Ray", Douglas greeted.
"Why will you call him Ray?",  Ashley asked Douglas hitting him.
" What then should I call him. Every body call him Ray, even a year old child", Douglas said as  a matter of fact.
"But he is your elder sis boyfriend. You should call him Brother",  Ashley insisted
Douglas scoffed.
" You're one to talk", he muttered.
Ray smiled.
"Don't bother to scold my brother in law. I'm fine with whatever he calls me.After all, I'm still trying to gain his favour.",  Ray said casually.
Dorris sat down on the floor.
" Where is dad?", she asked.
"In the kitchen", Ashley replied.
"Didn't we need to greet your dad?",  Ray asked.
" No need, my son", a voice said, footsteps followed, then a wisp of delicious aroma.
Louis place the dish on the dining table and came to the living room.
Ray stood up immediately to greet him. Dorris father is still young and he gave Ray a bright smile.
"Hello sir",  Ray greeted.
Dorris father stretched his hand for an handshake. Ray took his hand.
" Nice meeting you", Louis said.
Ray smiled.
"Your name?",  Louis asked.
" Murray", Ray replied.
"Such a manly name",  Louis said.
" Happy new year dad", Dorris greeted.
"Same to you my sweetheart",  Her father replied." You have such a handsome boyfriend.", Louis said.
The younger ones laughed.
"I'm I not handsome too,  dad?",  Douglas asked.
" You're very handsome too buddy. I'm sure your girlfriend will also consider her self lucky for catching the attention of my handsome son", Louis joked.
Douglas and Ashley shared a secret glance.
"I brought this for you, Uncle",Ray said.
Louis accepted the shopping bags.
" All for me?", he asked.
"Yes",  Ray replied.
" You shouldn't have bothered", Louis said.
"I told him but he said courtesy demands",  Dorris said.
" Thanks so much, Ray", the older man said.
"You're welcome sir",  Ray said.
" Food is ready. You guys can go ahead to the dining.", Louis said.
"Father the food is smelling delicious",  Ashley said.
Louis smiled.
" Don't worry Ash. I'm sure it taste even better", He joked.
They all sat down in the dining ready to eat.
"Your face kind of look familiar, Ray",  Louis began.
" That's because he used to be a celebrity.", Douglas replied.
"Really?",  Louis asked.
" Yes, Uncle", Ray replied.
"So what are you doing now?",  he asked her.
" Business ",Ray responded.
" That's good. You have to take care of Dorris", the nan said.
"I will take good care of her",  Ray promised.
Louis smiled.
" I will trust you"
"He is already taking good care of her. He even bought her a lamborghini......"
Douglas yelped in pain as Ashley pinched him and Dorris kicked him silently under the dining table.
"What? You had a car Dorris?",  Louis caught on.
" Yes. He just gifted me", Dorris said.
"I'm planning to tell you",  Dorris lied. She didn't want to tell him because she knew it will not sit down well with him.
"You gave her a car?",  Louis turned to Ray.
" Yes.", Ray responded.
"Isn't that gift too extravagant?",  Louis asked.
" She is worthy of more expensive gifts", Ray replied.
Louis didn't know what to say anymore.
He turned to Dorris.
"Be careful while driving", He told her.
" yes dad", Dorris responded.
They finish eating and returned to the living room to relax while  Douglas and Ray offered to do the dishes.
Dorris was wondering of Ray knows how to do the dishes and asked to do it but he told her he can manage.
Louis  turned to Ashley, "Ash, what do you think of Dorris boyfriend? Are you sure I can trust him with her?",  he asked. He had promised his wife to always look out for the children and he was especially concerned about Dorris since she was a girl.
" Ray is a good person father. I'm not saying this to take side with Dorris but I think he is trust worthy. After all, he did not lack girls throwing their self at him. He used to be a super star and he came from a very rich family too. He retired from the entertainment industry to handle his father company. In as much as he is good to Dorris, I'm not against their relationship ", Ashley said.
Louis sigh.
He turned to Dorris.
" Because he is rich does not mean you should stoop low and start asking him for every thing. Don't make yourself cheap. Remember the child of whom you're. And don't cause trouble for your boyfriend. He love you as it is", the man said.
"I know",  Dorris said.

Meanwhile in the kitchen, Ray and Douglas are doing the dishes.
" I heard you work as an assistant secretary?", Ray asked him.
"Yes",  Douglas replied.
" Do you mind working in H&D?", Ray asked.
Douglas thought he heard wrong.
"Your company?",  he asked.
" Yes", Ray replied.
Then Douglas suddenly screamed
"Yeeeees"

📝
Comment and vote.