An Invitation

Y/N's heart dropped.

Kay was hard enough to deal with, but now she was up against Ariana Grande?

She decided not to get too ahead of herself. Perhaps Kay was exaggerating to throw Y/N off or spite her out of jealousy. She didn't know exactly why Kay would want to do that, because her own mind didn't work that way, but she knew that if it was the case, acting unbothered was the best way to deal with it.

"Awh, Jimmy's too sweet. He doesn't have to hide Ariana from me. I know that if there was any potential between them, it would've happened by now. He can't be that interested."

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking," Kay agreed. "She's got nothing on you, anyway. It doesn't matter to Jimmy how famous she is, it's about who he likes as a person."

Kay seemed to be reassuring Y/N like a genuine friend. It sounded like she really was just giving her a heads up. A truly jealous person would probably big up the threat, AKA Ariana Grande, to make Y/N feel insecure. Maybe she wasn't lying, after all. Maybe Ariana really was out to steal her man.

Well, Y/N wasn't going to back down. She was the one who had pretty much bagged Jimmy Fallon, even when Ariana Grande was an option. Jimmy had chosen her for a reason, and if Ariana continued to pester him, Y/N was going to show her who was really boss.

*

About half an hour later, Jimmy left the room and found Y/N and Kay sat on the floor against the wall in casual conversation.

"Hey, guys," he said, holding down one hand each to pull them both up.

"Hey," said Y/N.

When she stood beside Jimmy, he reached his arm behind her back and placed it around her waist. A giddy feeling danced in her chest.

"Do you guys wanna go for lunch?" asked Jimmy.

"Sure," said Y/N and Kay.

"We could get something in the cafe downstairs. Did you check it out, Y/N?"

"No, but...I don't want to," Y/N said, looking concernedly into Jimmy's eyes.

"Why not?" Jimmy asked, his face filling with worry.

"She said some paparazzi were taking photos of her," said Kay.

"Oh noo," said Jimmy sweetly. "I'm sorry."

"Awh, it's not your fault," Y/N cooed, placing her palm against Jimmy's cheek admiringly. She quickly removed it when she remembered Kay was watching, and that it could hurt her feelings...or cause her to lash out in future.

*

The three of them made their way back to the car and drove to a typical vegan lunch restaurant. Kay ordered their food as takeout and brought it back for them to eat in the car park. Y/N preferred it to eating inside the restaurant—there were less possibilities for her to embarrass herself in front of Jimmy in the car.

"By the way, guys, they told me in the meeting that there's an after party on tonight in case you wanna go," said Jimmy, opening his salad container. "Y/N, if you wanna pass on it, I'll stay at the apartment with you." Then his face appeared to backtrack on his words. "Or, I mean, I could drop you back at your place. You haven't been there in a while."

Y/N lived solo in a small, run down apartment that she was fairly sure was mouse-infested due to the frequent small brown 'raisins' she'd been finding scattered in her food cupboards.
"No, I wanna go," Y/N decided.

"You sure? I know it's late notice, but they don't tell us early in case the word gets around and uninvited guests turn up," said Jimmy.

"I'm sure. I'm going to meet Ariana Grande," said Y/N with a cunning smile.

*

It was strange for Y/N to enter Rockefeller Centre, the location of the coffee shop she worked at, but this time, alongside Jimmy. His studio that they were heading to for a Tonight Show rehearsal was upstairs. She passed her shop with Jimmy and Kay her head bowed to avoid making eye contact with her coworkers.

"Y/N!" one of them called, bounding over to her. Y/N had no choice but to stop walking and look up, and saw that it was Sonia.

***

Question: Do you think Kay is a good or bad friend to Y/N, and why?

Please leave a vote and a comment if you enjoyed this chapter! Everyone who takes the time to give my story a chance is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reading!