Strange, Selfish Ways

Kay's eyes widened, Jimmy and Y/N stared at Ariana in complete and utter shock, and Ariana herself placed her head delicately into her hands.

Jimmy spoke softly. "What do you mean, Ariana? You're IN love with her?"

"Yes," Ariana whispered.

"...Why?" said Kay, her eyebrows creasing frustratedly.

Ariana shrugged. "I don't know." Her voice was a weak, croaky whisper. "I don't even know. I don't understand these feelings. I've never felt them for a girl before."

Jimmy squeezed Y/N's hand once more before letting go of it and pulling Ariana into a comforting hug.

Y/N couldn't believe what she was hearing. Ariana wasn't in love with Jimmy.

She was in love with Kay.

It was such an intimate situation that Y/N felt she wasn't supposed to be there. She'd only met Ariana that day, and yet somehow she was in on her most deepest secret before anyone else. None of the public was aware she liked girls, and she clearly hadn't known for a long time, herself.

"Why?" Kay screamed. "I asked you why!"

Jimmy broke out of Ariana's hug and Y/N tensed up. Kay was not looking happy in the slightest.

Both of these girls had wronged Y/N that day, but she knew that spending an hour in the sheriff's office was nothing compared to the emotions they were going through themselves. She found it easily in her heart to forgive them, because, from firsthand experience, she knew how love made people behave in strange, selfish ways, and both Kay and Ariana had acted out of love that day.

Ariana reached for Kay's hands, but Kay retracted them. "Because...you're not like anyone I've ever known before. You're so strong, and fearless, and you don't care what people think. Not to mention the way you look. You're beautiful, and always so clean and put together..." Ariana desperately explained.

Kay looked up at the sky, her face crumpling. She blinked away tears and pressed her lips shut to suppress sobs, her chin forming dozens of tiny dimples with the strain.

"What's wrong, Kay?" whispered Ariana.

"Everything you just said to me, I just...I wish it hadn't come from you," Kay wailed, all the tears and the sobs finally breaking through. "It's all I've ever dreamed of hearing Jimmy tell me."

Jimmy began to tear up, too. He silently pulled Kay in for a hug this time, and then after a moment, he held her at arms length. "Kay...I think all of those things about you. I always have!"

Kay squeezed her eyes shut and sniffed. "But you still don't love me...do you?"

Jimmy took a deep breath and looked down at the ground. "No," he whispered.