On the Line

When Y/N woke, her eyes felt glued shut. After having the longest day of her life, lying in bed was the most comfortable thing she could imagine, and she never wanted to get up. She had no idea how Jimmy did that routine daily. Just working at the coffee shop was enough for her. Her feet felt so good not to be in shoes, instead able to stretch out, bare against the duvet. She rolled over, and felt the warmth of another body. Her eyelids felt as puffy as balloons as she managed to open them. Squinting in the bright morning light, she saw Jimmy still sound asleep beside her. He looked so innocent and sweet, his breathing soft and his face peaceful. It was the weekend, so he was having a lie in. The hangover was probably the main factor for his late waking, though. He had drank a lot more than Y/N.

She decided to check her phone while she waited for Jimmy to wake, which she guessed would be a while. She had a string of text messages from Alice, received last night, and a couple from Sonia, too.

MESSAGES
ALICE: How dare u let ur cocky little bf humiliate me like that u freak
ALICE: If he knew what ur really like he wouldn't go anywhere near u
ALICE: Remember the incident from sixth grade? U know the thing u did to ur bully?? Well ur secret is not safe with me u ugly rat
SONIA: Omg I'm with Alice right now and she's going ballistic
SONIA: She's really wasted and keeps going on about how she's going to expose you, do you know what she might be talking about? She won't tell me what she means. I want to go home and leave her but I'm honestly a little scared about what she'll do

A feeling of sickness filled Y/N's body as she read the messages and remembered the quarrel between Alice and Jimmy.

It had never crossed her mind that Alice would think of telling her secret, and now she really was threatening to.

She had to resolve things with Alice, because if her secret got out, things could end with Jimmy. There was no way he'd see her as the same person he did before.

Since she'd met Jimmy, Y/N had always worried about whether she was good enough of a person to deserve him, but she'd always talked herself around in the end, deciding that everyone had bad things they'd done in the past. But now that there was a chance of her bad thing getting back to Jimmy, she wasn't so sure...

Taking her phone with her, she tiptoed off to the bathroom. Someone was already in there with the shower on, so she moved onto the living room. It must've been Kay, because she was no longer asleep on the couch.

Y/N dialled Alice's number. It rang twice before she picked up.

"What? You wanna embarrass me some more?" Alice snapped on the other end.

"Oh, like you did to me?" Y/N was actually on the phone to apologise—not actually out of sympathy, but still—but now she was mad again. "And I didn't even say anything to you, Alice. Jimmy did. We're not the same people."

"That's the point. You didn't even stick up for me."

Y/N heard the shower switch off in the bathroom, so she tried to lower her voice. "Jimmy was sticking up for me for something you were doing!" she hissed. "God, you're such a hypocrite! Can't you hear yourself?"

"The things I said were a joke. Jimmy wasn't joking. He really threw me out," argued Alice. "I bet you're still with him, aren't you? Can he hear me right now?"

"No. Well, yeah, I am with him, but he can't hear you. He's asleep in another room."

"That's lucky for you, then. If he was awake, I might've told him something about you that he wouldn't wanna hear."

Y/N sighed. "Look, if this is about what I did in the sixth grade, Jimmy won't care," she lied. "Because...he already knows."

"Oh, so it won't matter if I send his team a little letter, then?"

Y/N bit the insides of her cheeks, and her palm was sweating against her phone. She needed to think fast. "Fine, you got me. He doesn't know, but it's my word against yours, and it's not hard to guess who he'd believe."

The living room door swung open and Y/N's heart jumped out of her chest. She quickly hung up the phone.

"What was that all about?" asked Kay.