Cold Returns

Y/N stopped in her tracks and took a step back, hiding behind Jimmy. She had spent the last few days deliberating who might have spiked her, but she hadn't given a thought to the one who was currently being held accountable. The only thing the police had against him was the fact that he was the barista and his fingerprints were found on on the drug packet. Well...that was quite suspicious, but so was everybody else in Y/N's life.

The man then pointed at Y/N, noticing her as he walked past. "There's the cow that caused all of this! I hope you can't sleep at night, because I can't!" he bellowed, before being dragged away by his accompanying officers.

Jimmy shook his head and put his arm around Y/N. "Don't worry about it," he comforted once the man was out of sight. "You know what, I am suspicious of that guy now. At the golf course, he seemed all right, but calling you names? And blaming you for the situation when you were the one who got spiked? The victim? He sounds a bit defensive to me."

Y/N nodded. "I agree. And I won't take any notice of what he said, don't worry."

She had changed a lot during the time she'd met Jimmy. If someone had called her a cow in front of everyone a few days prior, she would've gone bright red and thought about it for the rest of the week. Now, she was unbothered. She supposed it was because so much had happened that there were more important things to worry about. It still was a tad embarrassing to happen in front of Jimmy, though...

*

After Jimmy had completed his testing, he sat back in the car with Y/N, Don, and Kay. The sky was dim with night, and the air crisp with cold.

"So, where are we off to now?" asked Don. "We don't need to go back to the emergency apartment." He glanced out of the rear window, checking for paparazzi. "If I'm not speaking too soon."

"I think we're safe today," said Kay.

"As safe as you can be when you have someone out there spiking you," said Jimmy, looking at Y/N. "Anyway, how about you come see my real house, Y/N?"

Y/N had been waiting for the moment she'd go to Jimmy's house. But now she didn't want to.

Instead, to enjoy the moment once Jimmy was in the clear and proven not to have been the one who spiked her. She hated the thought of walking into Jimmy's house, trying to enjoy everything, but having the doubt at the back of her mind that Jimmy was who he said he was.

"Um—how about we go to my place instead?" she suggested. Then, she looked at Kay and Don. "You guys can stay the night, too, of course."

"Why?" asked Jimmy. "I mean, I like the idea, but why?"

"I've gotten to experience your life, and it's about time you had an insight into mine," Y/N explained. She agreed with what she was saying, but of course that wasn't the main reason she was suggesting it.

*

After Y/N gave Don directions, they arrived at Y/N's apartment. Thankfully it was dark, and the block wasn't well lit, so her neighbours and passers by wouldn't see Jimmy Fallon casually walking on their street.

They had to take the case of shaky metal stairs attached to the side of the building to reach Y/N's upstairs apartment. Compared to even Jimmy's emergency apartment, it wasn't a lot. She was still proud to live there, though. Since it was in New York, it still cost a lot of money to keep.

When they reached the front door, Y/N noticed something was off. Her door wasn't locked. Surely she hadn't been so careless as to leave it open? She inspected it further, and realised that the lock wasn't left undone...it was broken.

Her heart skipped a beat and she stepped back. Jimmy looked at her curiously. "You okay?" he asked.

Y/N ignored him and stepped forward, making her way inside. She glided through each room in her apartment, the others following tentatively behind her, and her eyes scanned every room. In the last, the bathroom, right at the back, she found a note on the counter beside the sink.