Chapter 22: (Y/N) (L/N)

"I have told you Yoriichi Tsugikuni's story." Kokushibō said. "But once you are dead, it won't matter."

You then swung your blade to the side, as Kokushibō watched you keenly and attentively, since a moment of distraction could mean his death.

"Death isn't the end." You said. "No matter if I die, I will always fight you demons. I...will set my heart ablaze."

"This sensation..." Kokushibō thought. "It feels like the sun is shining on me."

Kokushibō widened his eyes as he saw you, he saw his younger brother behind you, making the same movements as you, as you raise your blade.

"Brother...?" Kokushibō asked. "Is...that you?"

"Sun Breathing...Thirteenth Form..."
__________________________________

"Oh my..." Jigoro, the previous Rumble Hashira, walked through the streets of a destroyed village. It was clearly ravaged by a demon, as he saw the vicious claw marks across the abandoned buildings.

"This is horrible..." Jigoro said. "Just who—?"

Jigoro was interrupted when he saw a child holding his palm out, dried blood on his forehead. You were only staring at your palm, all roughed up and beaten. Jigoro saw you were leaning on a broken wall.

"Why have you come here, old man?" You asked, not looking up, and still staring at your palm.

"I'm a civilian, and I happened to be passing by."

"Lies." You said, still staring at your palm. "You were a Demon Slayer, right?"

"He knew about—?" Jigoro then saw as you finally looked up, with a dead expression on your face.

"Can't you see them?" You asked, with your other battered hand, pointing at your palm.

"What am I supposed to see?" Jigoro asked.

"The souls." You said. "The souls of the people who died here. I can see them in my palm."

"What is this boy talking about?" Jigoro thought.

"You think I'm crazy. Well it doesn't matter." You stood up, still holding your palm out. "Human life is pitiful anyway. It's discarded like pieces of trash. All lives are meaningless."

"Lives are not meaningless." Jigoro said. "Listening to you makes me think this isn't your village, right?"

"Correct." You said. "Demon Slayer, just what is life to you?"

"Life..." Jigoro began. "...it's something that should be treasured. Something that can't be discarded like trash. You should live it out, make mistakes, learn from them. But no matter what, you should always keep living."

"I see." You then chuckled. "Everyone who has passed by has said the same thing. All you people don't get the big picture."

You place your back on the wall, as you slid down, sitting down, still maintaining caution over your extended palm.

"In the end, all humans are garbage. Including me."

"You're wrong, kid." Jigoro said. "You say that human lives are worthless, right?"

"Correct."

"Yet you hold the villagers' souls in your palm, and maintain care of them."

You widen your eyes for a split moment.

"That doesn't change anything." You said. "They still died. Still trash. All of the villages I've been to, they are all the same. Nothing has changed."

"All lives have meaning." Jigoro began to walk away. "Even if they mean little to nothing, every death in this world does not go in vain. It's what makes us human. That's what demons, like those destroying these villages, will never understand."

"Hey!" You stand up quickly, holding your palm. "Old man...what's your name?"

"Jigoro. I am the previous Rumble Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps." Jigoro said. "If you still believe life is trash, then stay behind. If you don't, follow me."

"...I'll go along. But I won't change my mind."

Jigoro smiled, as he continued waking, but this time, you, following him.
__________________________________

"That's right..." You think. "I remember that...I had no past, no future, and no present...I thought life was meaningless, until I met you, Master."

"I used to think that human lives was pitiful...but when I lived with Master, I realized that the ones who are worthless...are those who've become demons and abandoned their humanity!"

"His presence..." Kokushibō raised his palm, feeling enormous pressure from the Slayer. "Yoriichi...is this you...?"

"Sun Breathing: Thirteenth Form...!"

End of Chapter