Chapter 27: Tragedy

A/N: From this point on, the Hashira Training Arc will be adapted. Don't read further if you haven't got past or gotten up to this point.

"I see that it was tough to beat my brother."

You wake up with a jolt and find yourself in a white room, and feel your kimono on your body. It felt brand new, and you felt your injuries were gone.

You look to your left and see Yoriichi Tsugikuni kneeling next to you, a few feet away from you, like he was waiting for you to wake up.

"Am I...dead?" You ask him.

"No. Otherwise, you'd be with Sabito, Kanae, and all your other friends." Yoriichi said.

"Just what is this place...?" You look at the blank white scene.

"It's the place...where spirits go between the land of the living and the land of the dead." Yoriichi replied. "Some of us that died sometimes don't feel ready enough to go into the living world just yet, so we linger from this world to the real one."

"That's how Sabito and the others appeared in front of me?" You began. "Wait a minute, I am dead!"

"No." Yoriichi repeated himself. "Currently, I am speaking to you like this. It doesn't mean you're dead. I've met every single Demon Slayer that has passed through here."

"So I'm just the latest one?" You asked.

"Yeah." Yoriichi said, looking off to the side. "His name used to be Michikatsu, you know."

"I'm sorry?" You questioned, your mind wandering for a split second.

"You know him as Kokushibō, Upper Rank One." Yoriichi began. "He was my brother by blood. We did everything together, even when we were in the Corps. Never went on a mission without him, until he became a demon."

"I'm sorry to hear that." You said.

"I was kicked out of the Corps not long after he became a demon. I also encountered Muzan in one of my journeys. I failed to kill him. I wasn't strong enough." Yoriichi then lowered his head. "Because of me, a lot of Demon Slayers had to suffer and die because of my indecisiveness. I'm truly sorry."

"Hey, don't apologize." You said quickly. "It's really us who should apologize."

"...thanks." Yoriichi smiled. "I've heard from Sabito that your name is Y/N, correct?"

"Yes. Kokushibō, no, Michikatsu told me that I was your descendant." You said, making Yoriichi slightly widen his eyes.

"You referred to my brother by his human name..."

"I have an uncanny ability." You pointed to your ears. "I can hear 'voices', they basically tell me everything that I need to know about that person. I can still sense humanity in Michikatsu's voice."

"I..." Yoriichi looked like he was holding back tears. "You have no idea how happy that makes me..."

Yoriichi smiled at you then he began to disappear.

"Sorry about this, but I got to go." Yoriichi began. "When you head back, be sure to take down Muzan for me, okay?"

"I will." You gave a nod of confirmation and smile.
__________________________________

You wake up, feeling your body surrounded by bandages. You see a shocked Shinobu by your side. She immediately got up and choked back tears, as she put her hands to her mouth.

"Shinobu..." You began. "You're..."

"You're okay...!" Shinobu exclaimed, letting out a small gasp. "I'm so sorry...I should've gotten there to the battlefield as soon as I heard that Master sent Sanemi and Gyomei...I'm sorry..."