Chapter 31: Battle of Disciples

"I know you're there, come out." Zenitsu was in a Japanese room, as he stared at an open door in front of him. A clawed hand held the door and the one who emerged was Zenitsu's sibling disciple, Kaigaku.

"That is no way to speak to your senior." Kaigaku smirked as he held onto his blade, located on his back. "You look better than the last time I saw you, but as always...you're still shabby. It's been awhile...Zenitsu."

"Kaigaku, now that you've become a demon...I no longer think of you as my disciple."

"You haven't changed." began Kaigaku. "You're still that little runt from training. Still weak. Have you become a Pillar? Have you used any other forms besides the first?"

"You seem very thrilled to be at the bottom of the Upper Ranks. Even so, only filling in a blank position."

"Oh, you can talk back now." Kaigaku was mildly surprised at Zenitsu's remark.

"Why did you become a demon?"

Kaigaku chuckled, he was finding this amusing.

"Why would someone poised to acquire Thunder Breathing become a demon?" Zenitsu raised his head. "Grandpa killed himself because you became a demon! He died all alone!"

"When you commit seppuku, someone has to be there to chop off your head, or you suffer! He could've made it quick by slicing his throat, but he didn't! Because the wielders of Thunder Breathing had produced a demon!"

"I don't care! So what? Are you saying I should be sad? That I should repent?il I don't care about anyone who doesn't value me! At every moment, I serve those who know my value!"

Zenitsu made a fist.

"If the old man is dead, fine! I did everything he told me to do, but he wouldn't make me his successor! He said he would make me joint successor with scum, you! He may have been a former Pillar, it i have no use for a senile old man!"

"Grandfather wasn't senile...if I'm scum, then you're trash! I feel sorry for Grandpa having such pathetic successors, I can do the first form, and you can't even do that!"

"Don't lump me in with you!" Kaigaku unsheathed his blade. "Thunder Breathing: Fourth Form: Distant Thunder!"

Kaigaku lunged ahead with black electricity following behind his blade, but Zenitsu got right behind and sliced part of his neck, and would've gotten the whole thing, had Kaigaku not leaned to the side to avoid it.

"He cut me! He's like a completely different person!" Kaigaku thought, as his neck healed quickly.

"Everyone's gotta die at some point!" Kaigaku yelled. "You and the old man are no exception!"

"Thunder Breathing: Second Form: Rice Spirit!"

"You sure ate a lot of people!!!" Zenitsu dodged Kaigaku's attack. "Can you no longer tell what's right or wrong?!"

"Of course I know what's right and wrong!" Kaigaku prepared another form. "Thunder Breathing: Third Form: Thunder Swarm!"

Zenitsu jumped upwards to avoid the attack.

"Those who classify me as 'strong' are right!"

"Those who classify me as 'weak' are wrong!"

Kaigaku prepared another form as Zenitsu realized this one was going to be tougher to dodge this time.

"Thunder Breathing: Fifth Form: Heat Lightning!"

Zenitsu took the blow head on, his skin cracking as the blow damaged his entire body, and he began to bleed slightly from the black lightning attack.

"Thunder Breathing: Sixth Form: Rumble and Flash!" Kaigaku began to swing at Zenitsu, dealing significant damage to him, as Zenitsu tried to dodge every attack.

"I am special unlike you!" Kaigaku forced Zenitsu out of a door, as Zenitsu began to fall through a large cliff-like fall as he only looked up at the towering Kaigaku. "Unlike all of you!"

'Kaigaku, you hated my guts, and u knew that very well. And I hated you back just as much.'

'But I really did respect you from the bottom of my heart. You worked hard, you were driven. I was always watching you from behind.'

'You were special. You were just as special and important as Gramps was for me. But I guess that just wasn't enough. You always made a dissatisfied sound. Sorry Gramps, but this is where we part ways'

Zenitsu was able to land on one of the doors leading to another room and breathed in heavily as Kaigaku looked from above.

'Sorry, Aniki.'

"Thunder Breathing: Seventh Form: Flaming Thunder God!" Zenitsu zoomed ahead at frightening speeds and sliced off Kaigaku's head.

"I...I couldn't see that!" Kaigaku thought then he yelled. "Damnit! So the old man was playing favorites! He taught you something he never taught me!"

"No, Kaigaku. This is a form I created."

Zenitsu began to fall down the chasm alongside Kaigaku's head. Kaigaku was angry. He was very angry, but not just at Zenitsu.

"I wanted...to fight alongside you with it."
__________________________________

Giyuu and Tanjiro were walking side by side in a long hallway. It was peaceful, until they felt a powerful tremor from above.

"Above!" Tanjiro looked at a crack in the roof as an Upper Rank then crashed through it, Akaza.

"I'm surprised you're still alive! Being the weakling that you are!" Akaza charged at Tanjiro. "Kamado Tanjiro!"

"Akaza!!!"

End of Chapter