Chapter 34: Hakuji/Akaza

'Let go.'

"Who are you?"

'Just stop already. Let's go to the other side.'

"I can't. I have to kill these people."

'Why? But why?'

"I have to become stronger. I'll kill anyone who gets in my way.'

'But why? Why do you want to become stronger...?'

"If I don't...I can't bring back the medicine for Dad.'

"If I don't become stronger, I can't run away with the wallet I stole."

"If I don't become stronger, I wont beat the people who come back for revenge."

"If I don't become stronger, I'll get taken to the magistrate and get beaten to death."
__________________________________

"That's three straight pickpocket tattoo lines now. Next time, I'll cut off your wrists."

"Haha!" Hakuji laughed and laughed, his body bruised and beaten all over "That doesn't matter! Go ahead and cut them off! Then, I'll pickpocket with my feet and you're not getting me next time!"

"One crime after another. At the age of eleven. Even a large man would go numb with those injuries you got. You are a demon child."

'Keep saying that.'

'That's right, I am a demon child. I've had fangs every since I was born.'

"Hakuji!" An old lady ran up to the boy as she hugged him tightly and cried. "Your father...! He found out about you stealing again...and he—he killed himself!"

Hakuji was horrified as he only looked at the floor solemnly and he could only shed tears. After a while, Hakuji stood in front of his father's grave and held on tightly a note he left behind.

Dear Hakuji.

Live an honest life. You can still turn over a new leaf. I don't want to live off money that's been taken from others. I'm so sorry for being a nuisance.

'Why, Dad? How could you make peace living like this? Poor and without any money? This world can just fuck right off. All of you people can fuck off!'

'Why do we live like total shit? Why did my dad have to die? He wasn't a bother to me. Why did he have to die? He never did anything wrong. It didn't hurt receiving that punishment for stealing. For my dad, I'd have done anything. They may whip me and break my bones, but I would've done anything for my dad. I'd do anything for you, dad. For you!'
__________________________________

"Oh my..."

Hakuji gasped loudly as he turned to a man in a white gi. Out of anger, Hakuji had taken down seven grown men in the middle of the street.

"You have good muscles! It looks like those tattoos you got are from being an edo criminal, right?"

"Shut up before I take you down, old fart! Don't test me!" Hakuji yelled. "I'll kill you!"

"Then come at me, young boy!"

"Why you—!!!" Hakuji was then taken down with only a couple of fists from the man.
__________________________________

"Man, you sure are strong. My name's Keizo, I run a martial arts dojo that teaches a bare fisted fighting style called Soryuu."