Chapter 40: Sun

'I saw Yoriichi Tsugikuni in my dream. I didn't know what had happened after I lost my conscious, but I saw a dream. I saw Yoriichi battle Muzan. The Thirteenth Form. Yoriichi-san dead a kind and humble person, yet he showed so much skill and grace when he took down Muzan with a single form.'

'As for me, Yoriichi-san, thank you for helping our ancestors. We couldn't have been born without you. Thanks to cooperation of Tamayo-san, who you trusted and spared, Muzan could be pushed this far. Thanks to the Breath of Sun you have shown me, I can fight. The twelve forms were passed down with amazing accuracy despite the hundreds of years cast between the Kamado family.'

'Dance, Clear Blue Sky, Raging Sun, Fake Rainbow, Fire Wheel, Burning Bones, Sunflower Thrust, Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance, Solar Heat Haze, Sun Setting Transformation, Beneficent Radiance, Flame Dance. All twelve forms connect all at once. I can see it now. The Thirteenth Form...I wonder just how well I can use it in this situation. I'm not as powerful as Yoriichi-san, nor am I experienced with Sun Breathing, but I have to do everything now!'

"Cutting all of Muzan's brains and hearts until morning repeatedly until morning will be true hell, but I will do it. Set my heart ablaze...don't lose. Don't break!'

Tanjiro held onto his blade and attacked with multiple forms at once as Muzan began to swing his whips towards Tanjiro. Muzan noticed Tanjiro wasn't as proficient as you, but even so, his body wasn't breaking down. Tanjiro was keeping up with Muzan.

"This damned...!" Muzan looked at Tanjiro and saw Yoriichi instead, making him angry.

'It really does connect...'

Tanjiro dodged some whips but was sliced by multiple of them. Tanjiro began to analyze Muzan's whips and was able to get the timing down on his random attacks.

'I'll keep going...this time with all twelve forms!'

"He can't keep up..." Muzan thought. "He'll be unable to read me in some time. He is no where near that man's level..."

"Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance!"

"Fire Wheel!"

"And yet...he's still not breaking down his body..." Muzan thought. "The only reason the Thunder Pillar had fallen was because of my blood, but my blood doesn't seem to affect Tanjiro..."

"He's slow and his movements aren't even precise. So then why can't I kill a measly human?" Muzan then began to look at his own body. "Wait a minute...that's why! I'm also getting slower because of that damned drug that bitch Tamayo made!"

"I'm losing strength because of the aging process...! Judging by the drug's effects on my body, I am against fifty years per second! If we count to the start of my reawakening...I am over nine thousand years old right now!"

"Caw! Fifty nine minutes until dawn!" A Kasugai crow cawed loudly. "Fifty nine minutes!"

"Shit!" Muzan thought. "I have to get away from here!"

Muzan then ran in the opposite direction, leaving all of the Pillars and Tanjiro. Tanjiro was shocked, how could a being run away from a fight. Then it clicked to him, as he grew slightly angry.

"I get it now! Muzan's not a noble warrior! He really is just a coward who clings to life! Y/N-san, you were right about him after all!" Tanjiro leaped after Muzan, holding his blade tightly behind him. "I won't let you get away, Muzan!"

Tanjiro then grabbed multiple swords of fallen members and threw them at Muzan. Muzan used his whips to cut down the swords as they came towards him, as he kept on running.

"These damned pests! They just keep attacking me—!" Muzan was then interrupted when a sword was shoved into his neck, and Obanai appeared above him, now unmasked and gritting his teeth.