32

Around five o'clock, Lyla wakes with a jolt, having had a nightmare of a memory. She jumps up with her hand to her chest, now sitting beside Pietro, who slowly sits up, gently putting his arm over her shoulders. She starts crying again and he pulls her into a hug, holding tight around his waist as her tears turn to sobs.

"It's okay. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

He pulls her gently to lay on their sides, sobbing on his chest, both holding as close as possible. She quickly backs up, confusing him until, she sits back up, and lifts her hoodie to show she popped one of the stitches.

She looks at him and he speeds her back to the lab where she, as calmly as possible, sits on the bed while Pietro gets Bruce and Tony. She moves the hoodie out of the way before putting her palms to cover her eyes, elbows up.

"Hey, Lyla." Tony coos. "You alright? Physically, I mean?"

"Yeah." She breathes with a nod, moving to cover her face with her arms.

"How'd this happen?" Bruce asks while he works.

"Nightmare."

"What happened?" Tony tries.

"No." Her voice cracks.

"Okay. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked. Bruce will get this all fixed up and you can go lay back down."

Lyla nods behind her arms and they all quietly sigh together, getting this done as fast as possible.

When they're done, Bruce and Tony go back to the common room. Lyla looks over at Pietro, who stands against the wall by the door.

"You gonna tell me what happened?" He asks.

"I don't know if I can." She shakes her head. "I can barely even think about it."

"Alright." He sighs. "But, you know that I'm here whenever you're ready. I want to know what's going on, in case I can help. And I want to help."

"Why do you do so much for me?" She furrows her brows.

"Well, you're on the brink of death and you're kinda lazy." He jokes with a shrug.

"Shut up." She chuckles. "I'm serious. You've done so much for me and I'm a little bossy, which I'm sorry for, by the way. I just wanna know why you do it."

He thinks for a second before coming off the wall and making his way over to her.

"I don't know. I guess, because, we had only ever hated each other from day one." He sits on the bed beside her. "But, only a little over a month ago, we realized something, that something turning into something stronger. I just don't want to lose that thing that I care so dearly for. And I almost did. It took sometime to stabilize you, leaving me thinking, that was it. You were gone. But, you made it. And I don't plan on that ever happening again. I will not let them take you again, they will not bring back Whisper. 'Cause I need Lyla. And I can't have that if I let Hydra get her and that isn't ever happening again. I promise you, that is never happening again. You hear me?"

He ends this with his hands on her cheeks, both having tears rolling down their faces.

She nods and he presses his lips to her forehead, sighing, and pulling her into a hug.