Chapter 46

I sat down next to Constanza in deep silence. We were currently waiting for the Doctor's green light to go see Carlos. He had been put in an induced coma to help him recover quickly. When the other car had hit his door, a fragment of glass had cut him and almost scraped his heart, but his ribcage had saved him a great deal and taken the hit. 

So they had operated him last night and the doc said they will wake him up tonight. I looked over at a clueless Bella playing by herself. "Do you want to go home and rest? I can stay here and will call you when the doctor says we can see him." I turned to her. She looked so worn out. 

"Thank you love," She smiled at me, "I'll go wash up and change."

"And have some sleep too." I suggested and she stood up then called for Bella who came running.

"Can we see Papa now?" She asked.

"Not yet baby, let's go home first, we'll come back later."

"But I want to see Papa." Her eyes filled with tears.

"And you will tonight." Constanza said and held out her hand to the little girl. After a moment's pause, she nodded and held her grandma's hand and with a wave to me, they went home. 

I sat by myself contemplating my next move. I prayed that Carlos would come out okay. If he did, should I let him go? What if something worse happens and I won't be able to bear the pain? My heart still hurt from the situation at the moment. So this required me to think ahead. 

"Hello Miss Powers," I looked up at the doctor who had told us to wait. Panic filled me, why was he here early? 

"Is everything okay, doctor?" 

"Don't worry, everything is fine." He waved his hand, "I just saw you here and this chair seemed uncomfortable. You can go to the patient's room and have a rest there, the chairs are more comfortable inside." 

"I can see him?" My heart thumped in my chest.

"Just don't disturb him." He nodded and I ran off towards Carlos' room after thanking him.  

I gently opened the door and entered. Apart from the beeping machine by his bed, the rest of the room was quiet. I walked over to where he was lying and looked at him. He looked completely at peace, unconcerned about the war going on inside me. What had happened during that accident? Was he scared, in pain, unconscious? 

I had so many questions but I don't think I wanted to even ask them. I just wanted to see him smile and laugh like he was yesterday. I sighed and went over to the comfortable chair. They could be turned into a bed. VIP perks I guess. I laid back down and closed my eyes, but there was no way I could fall asleep. What if he woke up alone? 

I let my mind wander as I laid back in the recovery room. I had too many doubts now about our relationship and I was completely sure that it wasn't meant to be. 

"Hey," I got up fast and my eyes went to the bed. There was no way. I looked in shock and ran over. 

"Hey, I'll go call a doctor." I turned to leave but his hand stopped me.

"Wait," he whispered, "Let me have a moment with you. How are you?" My heart twisted painfully in my chest.

"I wasn't the one in an accident. But well, I've been better." I said to him smiling. 

"For a moment there I regretted leaving you." he said.

"You didn't leave me, you were going back home." 

"I should have stayed."

"How do you feel? Let me call the doctor okay?" 

"Is my Mum here? Bella?" I could see the worry in his eyes.

"Your Mum called me this morning, they went back home to rest, they'll return tonight." 

He nodded and sighed. "I don't want you to leave me even for a second." 

"I will not." I don't even know where the courage came from. Wasn't I the same person contemplating a break up earlier? "I'll call the doctor, okay?" he nodded and I went to call the doctor who came quickly.

"What a surprise," the doctor said, "We had predicted the coma to last at least twenty four hours."

"As you can see doc, I couldn't wait." Carlos shrugged one shoulder. "A lot of unfinished business." he added looking straight at me. 

"Lucky girl." The doctor looked at me and winked, "You seem alright Mr Morinho," he added after checking him, "You'll stay here for a couple of days as we monitor your progress." 

"Alright." Carlos said.

"I'll leave you two alone then," he turned then stopped by me, "Don't tire him too much." he laughed and left the room. 

"Come here," Carlos whispered to me and I went and sat next to his bed. I put both my hands in his hand and sighed. "I'm alright, don't worry." 

I didn't feel like talking at the moment. He was there, alive, smiling.

"What if something worse happens?" he echoed my thoughts and I looked surprised at him, "That's what you're thinking, love. Stop." 

"I.."

"Just think about us now," he continued, "I'm here, awake, with you. There's nowhere else I'ld rather be." he said. 

"I'm afraid." I surprised myself at my admission.

"Thank you." he sighed and squeezed my right hand.

"For what?" I was confused.

"For speaking out. It means a lot to me." He smiled at me. "Leticia, relationships all start differently, some start with total assurance that it's a forever deal, no separation, some begin on shaky ground, some with trust, some without." He stopped and looked at me, "All these don't matter. What matters is how far the people involved are willing to go to make it work."

There was a long pause as we looked at each other. I just wanted to be here with him and not anywhere else. 

"Yesterday, my life flashed before me and all I could think of was you, smiling." he sighed, "I wanted to return to you so much I fought my way back. Before you came to the room, I know it was empty, but I sensed you the moment you entered and I don't care how coma induced the doctor claims I was, I wanted to come back. To see you, talk with you, hold you and kiss you." He squeezed my hand again making me look at him. 

"I love you Leticia, from the very first day we met." I breathed in and pulled my hands away from his. There was no way he was telling me this. This was too much. What should I do? 

"Stay." he read my thoughts again. "Accept to make this work with me." he smiled. 

I hesitated for a long time but he was patient, then finally I put my hands back in his and leaned over placing my lips on his. 

"I'll stay. Let's make this work." I said smiling at him. 

"Now that's what I'm talking about." he said with a grin.

"Okay, I've been selfish long enough, let me call your Mum." I said whipping out my phone to call Constanza.

"Thank you." he said bringing my other hand to his lips. I looked at him and smiled. 

Was I really going to stay? How will our break up be like? He was already like part of me now. That break up will hurt for sure. But for now, I'll remember Minerva's words. Live in Now. 

So guys, I'll let you guess if we broke up in the future or not... 

The End.