Chapter 17

Sergeant Nicholas, as I had learnt dropped me off at the hospital and followed me inside. "Are you going to arrest me?" I asked glaring at him. For godsake none of all this was my fault. Believe me I am one of the most responsible people who admits their fault but with this, uh uh, there was no way it was my fault.

"Not as far as I know," Sergeant Nicholas said. "It's good you called the police but then who knows, maybe you called us as an excuse to commit a crime." he glanced at me once, his gaze sweeping over my not so short frame. "We will have to question the patient first."

I frowned feeling conscious of my short dress, then I looked down and saw that it was stained with blood. I hate blood so much.

We finally reached the reception area and the Sergeant stood straight and stared at the nurses there without saying a word. I guess he was waiting for me to ask.

"Umm, hello. A Mr. Carlos Morinho was admitted here minutes ago." I said.

"The cute guy with the bleeding head?" a nurse who looked like a doll with such big eyes asked.

"Well, you can say that." I almost laughed, cute? huh, but under the circumstance, there was no way I could do that.

"Mr. Morinho is in Ward B, Room number 5."

"Thanks a lot." I said running towards the ward leaving the Sergeant behind. But well, he was police, he can catch up. I almost bumped into a doctor who was exiting the room as I approached. 

"Slow down there." He smiled down at me. I looked up and smiled apologetically. He had such striking grey eyes and silver hair, probably in his sixties.

"Sorry doctor. How is Mr. Morinho?"

"Are you family?" he asked and I paused to think. If I said no, he wouldn't allow me to see him, but if I said yes, I would feel bad for lying.

"Ummm,..."

"Hello there Doctor Knight." Sergeant Nicholas came to my rescue.

"Nicholas, how you doing pal?" The Doctor's face brightened as he went towards the Sergeant. The two men shook hands vigorously. I tried to sneak off to enter the ward. "Hold it there little Miss." Little? Let me tell you something, there was nothing Little about me. I glared at the doctor and saw the Sergeant's eyes laugh amusedly.

"I'm with her actually." Sergeant Nicholas explained to the doctor. "We're here to see the patient."

"Oh, okay son, the patient is in a stable condition, although he's still asleep. I'll leave you to do your work." Patting the Sergeant's shoulder,  Doctor Knight walked away.

"Thanks Doctor Knight." Sergeant Nicholas said then led me towards the room.

I entered walking behind the Sergeant as I didn't know what to expect. 

"Honey, there you are." Hold up. I froze in my steps and frowned, then as  slowly as I could peeped around the Sergeant who was now standing at the foot of the bed. I hadn't left my position behind him.

"Honey? I thought you were just colleagues Miss Powers." he said frowning at me. "Let me warn you Miss that holding information from the police is a crime."

"What, I haven't done anything of that sort, Sir." I struggled to say but seems he didn't believe me as he continued glaring at me.

"Babe, come here. I'm not mad at you." the mad guy on the bed continued saying. I pinched my cheeks to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

"I promise you Sergeant, he just intruded in my house, we are not together." I pleaded desperately with the officer but he didn't seem to even listen to me.